Problem with a 2003 Silverado

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OFF TRAC

Reaction score
Any assistance is appreciated....I'm having a problem with a 2003 Silverado and I can't find any help in the Chevy Forums. So as in the past, you folks seem to have an answer or suggestion for everything so I figured let me give it a try here.

Silverado 1500 4.3L V6 w/auto tranny. 48,000 miles, Good battery, all ouside/inside/dash lights work. Fuel pump kicks on. Appears to have good fuel pressure. Fuses and relays inside cab & under hood area all check out fine, starter cranks. Truck will crank over but will not start. Changed spark plugs & wires, tried a "hard reset" by touching the two battery cables, hooked up code scanner and no codes show. Drove fine all day long, no noises or hesitation. Would always start on first turn of the key. Three days ago, went to start it after getting home from the store, nada. :smile0001:

Any suggestions/ideas???

Thanks,

Try 2 things...

Spray fuel or carb cleaner or starting fluid in the intake and crank.... IF starts, fuel problem..

Remove a spark plug wire and place it near the engine or USE AN OLD plug lay it on the engine so the ground touches it and crank the engine... see if it sparks......

just the basics..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you check to see if the distributor got wet? :smile0015:

Just kidding... OK, does the truck have a security light on the dash?

If so, you MAY have a problem with that. (Friends daughter has similar issue on her Grand Am that happens occasionally)

Turn the key to "on", watch the security light. Does it go out after being in the on position for a few seconds? If not, then that may be the problem. If the light stays on, turn the key off, then back on, but do not try to start it. Leave the key in the "on" position, for 20 - 30 minutes. (Wait 30 IMO) get a cup of coffee, read the newspaper, etc... After 30 minutes, try it again. Other than this, spark or fuel... Maybe a crank sensor?

You can borrow a noid lamp from Auto zone, you plug it into the wire harness where an injector is. If it flashes, you know all the sensors and the ECM are working to allow for fuel to get into the cylinders. (Crank sensor, cam sensor, ECM, that kind of thing).

Also check all the plug in points of the wiring harness. Make sure all is jacked in well and any unprotected wires anernt frayed and grounding out. I have seen cases were some off the more important connections were loose or had a bad pin.

A bad or malfunctioning crank sensor will often cause a service engine light error code, and or cause a no start condition, or rough running due to inaccurate ignition and fuel timing.

Unfortunately still was unable to get the Silverado to start. Done every suggestion and basic shade tree mechanic checks which could be done based on knowledge, tools and time available. Nada, having a shop take a look at her on Monday.

Thanks for the suggestions. As I said before, this site and you guys even for things not being ST related. :smile0006:

We all like to help when we can, but sure would like to know what the actual problem was so we will know when the question come up again... What did they find?