Problem starting the trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Teitell

Reaction score
The last few days it has taken longer to crank and start. Well today it clinked and clacked for about 15 seconds/ trying multiple time before it started. On a cold start is when it has the problem, but if it had only been sitting there for a min or two it starts fine which leads me to believe its the fuel pump or fuel filter. But anyway i took it into a place explained them the problem and they demanded it was a loose terminal on the battery. I insisted it wasnt i just bought the battery in march and so on. Well of course they replace the terminals and i change my oil and when i start my truck the same problem happens and they tell well it might be something with the fuel. anyway i left and was pissed , any solutions?

Honestly clicking and clanking as you put it sound like a bad battery or starter...

IF the terminal was loose or cracked it may not have charged the battery properly and killed it.

Todd Z

I agree with Todd. If the starter didn't spin the engine in a typical whrrr, whrrr sound, then the clicking and clacking is usually the sound of the solenoid that engages the starter not getting enough juice. Loose connection, bad battery or possibly the starter, in that order, are the things to look for. Remember, a new battery can go bad too... Have it load tested by the place you bought the battery from. Advanced Auto and Auto Zone used to do it for free, but I have not needed it done in a while, so I don't know if they do it any more... Sears will do it too.

this is strange, my '07 is doing the same thing!...but it is at any time, not just a cold start. Had it checked twice by 2 different places, one being the Ford dealer. and both said the battery and alternator were fine...I get in this am and it starts right up, drive 25 miles to work starts and drive about 2 more miles, get out and back in to start...nothing but the low battery clicking! Jump it, and starts right up, back the other 2 miles to shop. sits a bit and I try it again nothing but the engine turning over but no start. Try again and starts up, hesitantly. The guy at the dealership says maybe there is something that is not shutting off...draining the battery, any comments on that statement? This is not sounding typical for a starter going out, seeing how I can jump start it every time it dies and starts right up.

I am cornfused...more than usual

:unsure::huh:

Did they put a load on the battery, when they checked it? My 07 seemed like the starter was running longer to start and my air bag light would sometimes come on.When I was getting an oil change, the battery was checked and they said the CCA was down around 250. I put a new battery in and have not had any problems.

CCA was around 750 (I think that's what they said) Battery was good. Yup, air bag light stayed on. And the dealer ship guy said the tester puts a load on when he test it.

I hope your question was to me! Not trying to thread jack, sorry pimpedoutst! I hope we can get some answers, sounds like maybe just getting the new battery may be in order, check my connections again. will see when morning comes around.

Pappy, yours sounds like a bad connection or ground, or a bad starter..

Todd Z

I'm going to go to autozone and have them load test the battery, eventhough i feel like they did before putting on my new terminals yesterday. Just to be safe since i bought my battery there anyway.

I went to autozone and they checked my battery and alternator and both read good, they said i should change my spark plugs. Although i don't really think that is the problem I have called ford and made an appointment tomorrow because i am running my original spark plugs at 82,000 and figure its time to change them anyway. If and when they change them and my truck still doesn't work I'm going to have them check my fuel pump...does that sound about right?

Doubt that bad plugs is causing this problem, but with 82,000 miles I would change them anyway. I agree with Todd, bad connection, bad ground or bad starter.

Thank you, guys! It's a hit and miss type starting so I'm going to crawl in there and check out the connections, then go from there.

Thanks again!

Ford just callled me back with the problem an estimate. I need a new fuel pump which they want to charge 1200 dollars. This is insane, does anyone know what is should typically run to replace a fuel pump at a normal repair place?

Your fuel pump may very well be "bad" but it may not be the primary cause of your starting problem. My Sport Trac also has a bad fuel pump where the check valve does not properly close when the motor is shut off and the fuel partially drains back into the fuel tank. Because of this, the motor has to crank a bit longer than usual in order to get the fuel back up to the injectors to start the motor. This is an all too common problem with the Sport Tracs.

I used a fuel line pressure gauge myself to confirm the fuel pump check valve was the problem with slow starting. Using the gauge, I could observe that the PSI pressure would drop like a rock to zero when the motor was turned off. I looked at replacing the fuel pump myself (there is project on the forum that describes how to do it) or having a shop do it for me. Too much trouble or too much money was my conclusion. Instead, I changed my starting habits by holding the key into the "run" position for 5-8 seconds before cranking. This allowed the fuel pump to pump fuel back into the fuel line and pressurize the fuel line to normal PSI levels so that the motor would start right up after that. I had to teach my wife this alternate starting method to keep her from being frustrated.

You might consider getting a fuel line pressure gauge and check out what is going on with the fuel pump and PSI levels in the fuel line before spending the big bucks on having the pump replaced and finding that it was not the primary cause of your starting problem. Just my thoughts....

Last edited by a moderator:
When I get my truck back from ford later after the new spark plugs I will test your thoery and hopefully it works if I can't find a place that will do it reasonably

Is the fuel pump and yes the ck valve is the problem, have had the same problem for two yrs.

Hot summer days, no issue as gas expands and fills the lines.

winter time, turn the key on and off 4 times, prime the system, starts right up, am not going to drop the tank to swap out a fuel pump that works.

Yes, but a fuel pump would not cause a solinoid click. I would just cause slow/delayed starting, with an engine that cranked normally until the engine got enough gas. If you have a fuel pump/backcheck valve problem, you should hear the fuel pump cycle on and then turn off when you 1st turn the key to run(as mentioned above). If you do or don't hear that, it won't be the cause of the starter solioid clicking and clanking. 2 different problems?

Latest posts