Problem free ST?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Brewer

Reaction score
How many miles have you driven trouble free with your ST? I think I have been very lucky. My '01 has gone 91k with only tire and brake replacement. Tho I worry the trans might go at anytime! Yours?:banana:

Mine (02) has 117500 miles and the only things replaced altenator, rebuilt the limited slip diff. , all new ball joints, brakes front and one drivers door hinge.:banana:

Traded mine in at 72,000 miles and NEVER had anything other than minor issues. In fact, all were taken care of by Ford. I never spent a penny short of routine maintenance.

My 03 I bought new and only had stupid little things, yes annoying but i beat it, drive it hard, and all is good 70K miles

My 04 I bought used with 60K an only had a tranny problem at 20K... Nothing since and it has 98K on it now !!!

I am 100% happy with both of my ST's !!!

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

'02 4wd. Alternator was replaced under warranty. DPFE sensor once. Otherwise flawless. :banana:

I've had to replace a lot of suspension parts because of the harsh winters up here. I bought my ST at 116,000 Kms so I was kind of expecting to have to do some repairs.

So far I've replaced Ball joints (uppers & lowers), Hubs/bearings, front & rear shocks, Tie-rod ends, brakes (pads/rotors) on all 4 wheels, my parking break seized & broke apart so I got that disconnected for now.

I'm planning on upgrading the endlinks real soon (I have the parts for both front and rear) as I'm growing tired of the clunking sound from the OEMs

Last edited by a moderator:
Replaced DPFE sensor on my 02 and that's about it besides the crappy oem Michelin's I was glad to get rid of. It handled like crap when I got it but after the EE sway-bar and new improved shocks it's been the perfect vehicle.

Power steering pump leak right out of the factory.

Steering shudder when turning at very low speeds, fixed at 6k miles by higher displacement pump.

No real ability to align the front wheels with any long-term accuracy causing undo wear and cupping to front tires (engineering defect, IMHO).

Stock shocks providing near-criminally dangerous handling when encountering unexpected road hazards (potholes, etc) at highway speeds.

Other than that, my '04 was a nice truck.

TJR

My '02 ST- 59,000 miles- shocks, brake pads and rotors, battery, tires and fuel filter.

156,000 until the tie rods went, the DFPE and inner Rear door handles were replac3d under warranty, but other than gas, brakes and tires, not a dime...:cool:

55K miles, other than my exploding radiator (E-fan failed in heavy traffic)

All has been good.

[Broken External Image]:

82000 miles. Replaced the DPFE and an oil sender. Oh... and the cracked elbow.

Scheduled maintenance items don't count, you know.

So far on my 2003...

New IAC at 35,900 miles, under warranty.

New battery a couple of years ago after an accident.

New fuel pump and cutoff switch about a year ago at 150k miles.

New front rotors and bearings at 197,000 miles.

Maybe halfway through my third set of tires!

Other than maintenance nothing else has given us trouble. If people would stop running into us, and if my wife would learn to avoid the deer we wouldn't even have any accidents with it.

198k miles and still going strong!

'01 2wd

78,000 miles

I had to replace the driver side window switchs 40 bucks for both the driver and front passenger window switchs.. They just wore down with time...would go down but not back up...easy fix..

Just normal replaced parts, brakes have been changed twice in that time, tires twice, and I just replaced the shocks last week.

All in all quite happy so far with the ST, I've gotten some very good use since purchased new in 2001. I considered buying a new one, but they are to pretty and wouldnt wanna scratch it up, so I am sticking with the '01 till at least 100k miles....Then we'll see..

'03 95K miles here

Only problems: cupping tires, peeling radio bezel, and the rear driver's side door lock doesn't work every now and again.

Other than that, have had no major issues, and have only done routine maintenance. :banana::banana: