Prob w/rear shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm trying to upgrade my stock rear shocks, and have run into a snag. Using the project on this site, I pulled the spare tire off, but just can't access the top side of the driver's side rear shock. There's some sort of box that's blocking the only way I can get to one of the nuts. I'm not sure what the box is and am hesitant to just pull it off because I can't see behind it or where the hoses/wires are running to. See included picture for reference.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The box is for the collection of fuel vapors for return to the fuel tank and is easily removed. Just be sure to keep the hoses connected when you reinstall it after the shock replacement. I've had mine off several times without problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned above,,, just make SURE the hoses don't get kinked up when reinstalling it as it will cause a refueling issue.

Other than that, it is an easy thing to remove and put back into place..

The hoses, in my case came off very easily. There are two. One simply slips on and one has a connector that came out very easily. There is also wiring on the drivers side to be carefully with, but as with the hoses, it too came off easily. I too was hesitant, but in the end removed and was able to reinstall the whole collector without and problem. The unfortunate part is that it takes longer to think about and carefully remove that then it does to change both shocks!

What bo said. A 13mm ratchet wrench with swivel box end. Makes quik and easy work of the top nuts.