Pressure Washers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
I was thinking today that I spend a small fortune on car washes and that it would be a wise decision over the long run to get a pressure washer and do this from home instead of a wand wash bay. Anyways, I have a really small pressure washer, the tip doesnt shoot a nice fan of high pressure spray and not high enough pressure to do a decent job. Does anyone have an suggestions for a good quality pressure washer that has some "balls" but isnt going to break the bank?

Thanks!

I have a Huskey 1650 electric that I use in the spring on the vehicles I own. I use them just to get the salt off and out of all the crevices. Hell, I even crawl under the car to do the underside. It get mostly used to clean my deck and siding. It's strong enough to do the jobs you are looking at.;)

I bought one last year from Home Depot with the same logic XST...it's an Xstream series 1000psi pressue washer. got a great deal on a sale at $350...it's super powerful. had to call the help line about a question and was actually directed to Honda Canada...apparantly it has a Honda engine, so even better.

In all honesty, its way too powerful for washing cars on your driveway....its more of a problem actually....way too much setting up, cleaning up after, you still spend good money on materials....i don't know, I used mine twice to wash the trac and my car...too much work for me...personally.

The place I take my Trac starts the job with a hand pressure washer. Including the hot wax spray. They drive it out of the bay thru blowers. Then finnish with micro-fiber towels. Comes out good and clean and shiny. I think the trick is not so much pressure but at least a 3gpm unit.

I have an electric 1250psi @ 1.6gpm. Peice of junk...

I could see it if you were into serious "off roading" in the deep, sloppy stuff. The baked on mud can be pretty tough to remove with a water hose and a brush. Not to mention hard to get to.

Otherwise do it like us "normal" people and use a bucket and sponge with a water hose on standby. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use one I'd remember a few things:

1. Don't use the high pressure nozzle. Use a setting with a wide spray. Less chance of causing leakage.

2. Cars/trucks are designed to seal water from the top down - particularly around the windows. When spraying your truck, spray in a downward motion to simulate rain. You'll have less issues with water penetrating at the vulnerable areas like the windows and bed cover.

I bought an electric one off of HSN 6 years ago..... To this day it works great.... I even cleaned fences and decks.......

Safer on car plastic and paint then the gas ones....

Todd Z

+1 on the Craftsman being a POS.

Same with the Black and Decker.

Any electric-pump model I have used has not been worth the money. I get a couple of seasons out of them then they leak and stop working. I have purchases the craftsman and the B&D models each for under $100 (get what you pay for).

I suggest getting a gas-job, and IF you use it for washing cars then make sure to take it easy and not get to close.

I don't see using a pressure washer like this much different than going to your average "wand wash" place.

Many here will swear that you should bucket wash only with a soft spoonge, trickle the water on from above, make sure to use Brita filtered, ionized water that has been softened, to only wash when the temperature is between 55 and 75 degs, there are no clouds in the sky, the pollen count is below 7.0, using $50/quart car washing detergent, and then only after clay-barring the entire vehicle, and only when finished by two coats of $100/tin wax.

So, I say, take it with a little grain of salt when they tell you to not use a pressure washer on your vehicle. ;)

TJR

I could see it if you were into serious "four wheeling" in the deep, sloppy stuff. The baked on mud can be pretty tough to remove with a water hose and a brush. Not to mention hard to get to.

Otherwise do it like us "normal" people and use a bucket and sponge with a water hose on standby.

Agreed.

I highly recommend the Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System combined with some elbow grease.

When the truck is pretty dirty or I've neglected to clean it in a while, I first give it a good high pressure rinse @ the local self-car wash, then use the Mr. Clean AutoDry.

The soap they provide works great with grime and the water filter leaves it spot free and pristine every time (provided you routinely change the filter).

You can use a pressure washer. I have a husky 1650, BUT i put on a spinning washing unit, and a feature of my pressure washer is that it automatically reduces pressure when this is on, so that it has enough pressure to spin the cleaning wheels, provide a good soapy lather, and plenty of water to wash properly. But I only use that when its really bad, otherwise nothing beats good ol' fashioned hand cleaning!

I have a Troybilt with a Honda engine that I bought at Lowes about 5 years ago.

I've done several houses prior to painting.

I've loaned it out to friends for various uses.

Cleaned the horse trailer inside and out several times.

Cleaned my utility trailers many times.

Cleaned the ST a couple of times.

Never had a problem with it.

Multiple tips and variable pressure settings.

Can't remember what I paid for it. Sorry.

The best one i had was an excell, 10 H.P honda eng, about 1200 bux, sold it when we moved 3 yrs ago.

wanted to get a smaller one a couple yrs back, they had a ryobi 7H.P, 3000 PSI on sale, 285 bux at home depot.

Did not expect alot from anything made by Ryobi.

started a small Buis doing patio decks, walkways, driveways, is used at least 10 hrs a week, runs like a champ, engine is made by suburu, change the oil 3 times a year, the comp oil every few mos, at the price I paid for it ( I charge 120 bux for a walkway and 4 slab Driveway) the machine is almost disposible, but it keeps running.

just contracted a new job today,330 cast concrete park benchs, spread out over my 2200 acre retirement complex, 10 bux per, if the machine hold up I will be pleased.

Hey, Bill

Do you just use water pressure to do that or do you add something to the tank?

What about special tips?

330 park benches? Yikes!!