Power Steering Shudder

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just changed my AC Compressor, all went well. Had to move my Power Steering Resevoir to get at the compressor.

Finished the job to find out that the Power Steering has a significant shudder to it now.:angry:

I used regular power steering fluid. Is that OK. could it be my problem? Or might it just be that there is air in the system that need to work itself out? Shall i drive in circles in a parking lot like I normally do in the snow.:cool:

Thanks.

Generally, the air will work itself out. I found that if you turn it stop to stop that it will help. However, as you do so, make sure the fluid does not go low (due to the air leaving) or you will put in even more air...

Thanks for the update so far. I should probably drain the fluid since I used power steering fluid instead of Mercon. Whaddya think everyone?

I mixed the original with Power Steering fluid, is that OK?

Any idea how to drain, or where?:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
PS fluid and Mercon don't mix.

Mercon V is approved to all Fords now, old ones too. Dealer's will no longer stock phased out Mercon, they will add Mercon until supplies are finished, then begin using Mercon V.

Even the Motorcraft MerconV bottles now say "...and Power Steering Fluid".

Rico, I just flushed my PS pump and had lots of steering shudder after I let the Trac off the jackstands. A few left and right turns, a few u-turns later, it went away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts