Power outlet

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12v is 12v... The cigarette lighter sockets are the same as any other 12v socket, except they can take a little more heat. As long as your phone car charger fits in the socket, it should work fine...

I've always used any of the three outlets in my Trac to charge the phone or other things. The power outlets all started as cigarette lighters way back, and just became power outlets when cigarette lighters stopped being used so much. I've never seen a cigarette lighter that would not work as a power outlet.

AUXILIARY POWER POINT (12VDC) [near shifter]

Power outlets are designed for accessory plugs only. Do not insert any other object in the power outlet as this will damage the outlet and blow the fuse. Do not hang any type of accessory or accessory bracket from the plug. Improper use of the power outlet can cause damage not covered by your warranty.

[Broken External Image]:

The auxiliary power point is located in the floor console.

Do not use the power point for operating the cigarette lighter element (if equipped).

To prevent the fuse from being blown, do not use the power point(s) over the vehicle capacity of 12 VDC/180W.

To prevent the battery from being discharged, do not use the power point longer than necessary when the engine is not running.

Always keep the power point caps closed when not being used.

Cigar/Cigarette lighter (if equipped)

Do not plug optional electrical accessories into the cigarette lighter socket.

Do not hold the lighter in with your hand while it is heating, this will damage the lighter element and socket. The lighter will be released from its heating position when it is ready to be used.

Improper use of the lighter can cause damage not covered by your warranty.

Rear auxiliary power point

[Broken External Image]:

A second auxiliary power point is located on the rear side of the console. It is accessible from the rear seats.

Truck bed auxiliary power point

An additional auxiliary power point is located in the bed of the truck (12V 20AMP max).

Lift the cover to access the auxiliary power point.

12VDC/180W = 15amps

12V 20AMP = 240 watts

What you were told is somewhat true - the cigarette lighter is not supposed to be used for "optional electrical accessories". There is at least one other outlet in the cab (near the shifter) and there may be another at the back of the console.

Tablets typically pull under 3 amps; phones less.

Owners Guide (pages 54 and 55):

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my best guess: That statement in the owner's manual to not use accessories in the cigar lighter (don't like cigarettes!) is due to the higher chance for a short or electrocution from a broken power plug. For a power plug that comes with your radar detector or GPS, the end is the positive connector, and there are contacts along the side for the negative connection. A cigar lighter has a flat positive end that is a heating element (coil of metal), and the entire side is a metal negative connector (much like a light bulb).

If you look into a modern power point in a car, there is a plastic "donut" that allows the point of the power plug to reach the positive power source; however, it prevents the flat end of a cigar lighter from making contact. So a cigar lighter will not work in a modern power outlet. That donut also keeps objects like coins from reaching the power point.

If you look at a cigar lighter socket, the safety donut is not present. This would allow a broken power plug to be more likely to short or shock the user.

If my guess is correct, I'm surprised that the owner's manual didn't word that statement as more of a warning or caution.

I need to know if it is possible to switch that for a 12 volt outlet.

Perhaps everybody else understood this to mean that you want to replace the existing cigarette lighter socket with a power point socket, but I just re-read it.

From page 230:

Fuse 21: Rear of console power point (20 amps).

Fuse 25: Front of console power point/Cigar lighter (20 amps).

Fuse 30: Cargo bed power point (20 amps).

The description for fuse 25 implies that either the front console power point and the cigar lighter are the same thing, or that one replaces the other, depending on options (i.e., Smokers Package). Based on "Cigar/Cigarette lighter (if equipped)", I'd guess it's an option and that one replaces the other.

You noted that there is no ashtray. The ashtray is a cup with lid that fits into the cup holder. This has me wondering whether what you have currently is actually a cigar lighter socket or a power point with a cigar lighter added (cigar lighter would be included with the "Smokers Package"). You can use the VIN to check for options.

Where is your current cigar lighter located? If at the front of the console (as in the above pic), then a power point outlet should be a direct replacement.

There is no ashtray because smoking is bad for your. :grin:

Most vehicles have an optional "smoker's package" that gets you a lighter and an ashtray that fits in the cupholder.

Latest posts