Postage just didn't go up by 2 cents!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WXMotorSports DecalsPartsAccs

Reaction score
I guess I didn't pay attention enough. Stamps went up-to 41 Cents. However, 1st Class Mail through Stamps.com w/tracking doubled in price.

Global Priority Mail is no longer available as it went to Priority Mail International at twice (plus) the rate.

I stand corrected on the increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
The postal service is putting the screws to everyone. They completely changed their rating structures and more importantly, the rate calculation basis. Part of the warehousing software that I consult clients on is setting up the carrier rates. Our last client went live three weeks ago on the old rate system and had to pay $20,000 to get ready for the new rates that started Monday.

In some cases, the rates tripled or quadroupled as some of their Priority mail shipments now have to be based on dimensional weight rating instead of actual weight.

They also gutted the First-Class rates...if a letter weighs more than 3.5 ounces, it defaults to the higher priced Flats First-Class rate which is a $.39 jump in price.

SST,

Okay, I just bought a bunch of 2¢ stamps and have been putting them on envelopes along with my old stamps. Those old stamps were 39¢ stamps, right? I only need one 2¢ stamp in addition, right?

That's a 2¢ increase not 4¢, right?

Someone help me out...I want my mail to go through.

;)

IT was 2 cent increase, not 4. Was 39, now 41. The new method ofr computing the postage is kind of confusing, but I bet everyone will get the hang of it eventually...

Sorry, my fault 2 cent increase to 41 cents for a stamp. However, as I stated First Class Mail and International Mail went way up in price. I used to be able to ship a 2 ounce package with tracking for 77 cents now it's 1.43. When you ship 3000 packages a month it adds up quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so everyone knows, you can now purchase stamps called Forever stamps...they are always good for a letter no matter if there is a rate increase or not. If you bought them at .41 and it goes up to .43, you just got .02 free :) So if you have to buy stamps (not the .02 ones to help get rid of what you have left), buy the Forever stamps...

Yeah...the postage is just one more thing. My main complaint is they keep going up but the service in my area gets worse and worse. Everything is going up besides my salary!!

I had a bunch of things already in my Ebay store and I was not fully aware of how the new postage rates would be computed so I had to hurry and change postage costs so I wouldn't lose any money on items sold.

On-line bill pay, e-mail and FedEx are about the only way I send stuff anymore.

If the retards running the postal service can't figure out how capitalism works.... forget them. Just another Goberment agency sticking it to the public.

Bring me my junk mail 3x a week instead of six and you can keep your postage increase off my back.

Okay, let me get this straight....

A person shows up at your door, they pick up an envelope from you then deliver it ANYWHERE in the world, and it reaches that destination typically within a week or so. Now for all that they only charge you 41¢.

What else did you want with that, a cookie?

;)

TJR

A person shows up at your door, they pick up an envelope from you then deliver it ANYWHERE in the world, and it reaches that destination typically within a week or so. Now for all that they only charge you 41¢.

Of all people, I would expect your statements to be accurate!:rolleyes:

International Postage Stamps are NOT .41 cents.

One problem...you can't mail a letter from the US to ANYWHERE for $.41. The cheapest international letter rate is $.69 to either Mexico or Canada. The rates climb from there.

The post office is coming out with a new "Hedge" stamp that you can buy and it never expires regardless of what the rates go up to, this stamp is always valid for first class letter postage. It has a Liberty Bell on it, but I don't know what the actual prices is?

...Rich

The thing about these hedge stamps is, according to what is printed on the stamps, they've had them for a long time.

Every time they've done a postage increase, they've used stamps with "USA First Class Postage" or something like that printed on them. (Some have had flag designs, or planet earth, etc.) They've never had a value printed on them--supposedly so they could be designed and printed prior to the new rate taking effect. I would think that if you put one of those on a letter now, they'd have to deliver it, even if when you bought it, it only cost you 29 cents (or whatever value). Otherwise, I would think it would be considered false advertising.

Speaking of stamps--I thought the US Postal Service policy was that postage stamps couldn't depict anyone who is living. Sort of like coins.

But now they're about to have a "Star Wars" set out, depicting scenes and charcters from all six movies.

Last time I checked, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Natalie Portman, etc., were all still alive. Yet here they are on the stamps....

US Postal Service policy

That's usually a joke. These are the couriers which wouldn't deliver my mail because there wasn't a sticker inside my mailbox with my name on it. The big engraved apartment number on the front wasn't enough, nor did they bother to leave a notice telling me to affix said sticker in order for them to deliver my mail. Well to be fair, they delivered some mail, but not other mail, so we weren't sure what the hell was going on.

Then there was the time I mailed a package. I usually ink the address on the box in addition to the airbill / label, since labels have a tendency of "falling off" the box.

"We can't mail that box sir, the address is written on it too many times." :blink:

Plus I love it when it costs more to ship something USPS than it does to use FedEx or UPS. I'd rather pay more money to FedEx or UPS than deal with the headache at the post office.

Well my carrier is an idiot. I have the sticker inside the mail box and the outside and still manage to put my mail in the wrong box.

I gave the idiot 50 pieces of mail the other day and he says " don't you have a box or bag you can give me so I don't have to just throw in the back" I replied" can't you ever remember to drop off bins when I ask you to?"

This the same idiot that has been delivering our mail at 5:30 in the evening because he can't figure out the route.