Possible Future ST Meet??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
Just an idea for a possible future Texas Meet.

When was the last time you went to a Drive-In Movie? Check out the photo section, looks like a great place to meet and fun for the kids

I didnt know there were any left. I worked as a drivein box office cashier while in high school. As a second night job up till I went into the Army when I was 20. It was Town & Country drivein here in Pasadena,Tx. I dont know if they had any up that way. They were based out of Abeleine,Tx. Our single screen could support 1200 cars.

Could be a future Idea. It would have to be a weekend trip for some of us...

Great Idea.

We go to drive-ins anytime we get a chance. There aren't any really nearby where I live but whenever we travel one of the things we always try to do is visit a drive in if there are any in the area. The tickets and the yummy junk food are almost always far cheaper than a regular theatre and the experience in my opinion is better (except for some of their bathrooms my wife doesn't care for them at all :lol:)

There are actually still quite a few in operation, and actually have been a few new ones reopening in some southern states. Most people when I mention drive-ins say, "Oh I didn't think there were any of them left", but there are plenty. We have been to around 20 drive-ins in the last 7 or 8 years in CA, TX, AZ, NY, VA, FL, ME and two in Canada and all but one was great, the one bad one was run down and in a bad part of the city. Our favorite was one in the little town of Perry, NY. Along with a nice two screen drive-in there was a mini golf course, a great restaraunt/take out and nice playground for the kids.

Anyway drive-ins are great and I strongly recommend everyone go. In fact there are atleast two of them in the Louisville, Kentucky area and that might be something a group of members could do on a night during the meet, you could all park together and hang out and watch a movie. Wish I could go. Many of the drive-ins also have daytime use for yard sales/flea markets, gun shows, and car shows. I bet many of them would allow you to have an ST meet there before the movie.

Finally Drive-Ins rule!!!!

I grew up in So. Cal and went to the Drive-In just about every weekend.....some to see the movie and some not ;)

I think the last time I went to one before they were all gone was around '71 (Hwy 39 DI) in Garden Grove, CA. At the time, I was still drivin my '65 Chevy.

Anyway, just throwin out the idea for ya'll to think about. For those who never ever have been to a Drive-In to watch a movie......you really need to try it out before they are all gone again. Take a date, spouse, GF or whatever, not like a walk-in....there is so much more you can do at a Drive-In ie; make-out, etc :D

I'm open to just about any weekend, not during these summer nights....too dang hot. Spring or Fall would be good.

At the same time, don't want to take away any interest in the upcoming Loui National Meet.

Wish I could go to that one and the idea of maybe a night at the Drive-In as firedog said, would be something for them all to enjoy as well while they are out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah...drive-in's are still cool and yes, they still exist. First Texas and now Kansas. Maybe it's a Mid-west value??? Or the mid-west being 20 years behind the times?? Nonetheless...they still exist

I moved here (KS) in 79 from the east coast and then there were (4) here. Star-lite is the only remaining. Like I stated, they are still cool and just as you remember. Still able to see a triple feature for $8 per person and during special time $10 per car load!!! If only I had my ST when I were young. And of course the obligatory sleeping bag!!!

Now the snackbar is a different story!!! Steak dinner and all the trimings. Or the casual dog or burger along with the greasy fries.

CHILLY DILLY!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 2 or 3 Drive-In's out by me in NEPA. A lot of people I work with go on a regular basis. From what I've been told you have to get there super early just to be able to get a spot. The place fills up fast.

There are 2 or 3 Drive-In's out by me in NEPA. A lot of people I work with go on a regular basis. From what I've been told you have to get there super early just to be able to get a spot. The place fills up fast.

Hunlock Creek, PA, off of Route 11? :)

:Adam here is a list of PA drive ins.

and getting back to the subject of meets at drive ins....If ya''ll do it....park in the last rows because the movie watchers will not understand everyones hoods up and people walking around looking at each others rides and mods! :lol::D

Darn I miss Driveins, early 60s would cruise in to the moonlight in my 40 ford, GF by my side and 4 others in the trunk:lol:

Glad to see that the Drive-In movie's are making a come back. Area's like So Cal will never see them again for the amount of space they take up.

For the price of 5 or 6 bucks plus the cheap cost of some of that "yummy" food....you can't beat it compared to what it costs these days to go to a walk-in.

I like the looks of that Starlite one....reminds me of the modernized ones that used to exist in CA.

This fall, I'm looking forward to driving down to the Galaxy Drive-in, but wouldn't attempt it during the summer since it's so friggin hot even in the evenings here.

Thanks for all the posts about other Drive-In's guys.....I hope yall do get a chance to check them out if you have never been to one or haven't been to one in years. Surprise your gf/bf or spouse and make it a date night......I guarantee he/she will love it. If your married and have kids, it's a really good family night out as well.....many even let you take woofie :)

There is one here in Wichita, KS. It is a large one i would say with double screens and alot of room around each screen for LOTS of ST's :D lol...