Popping noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Roncarati

Reaction score
I'm getting a popping sound coming from the front left, seems to be on turns and bumps. Would this be a tell tale sign of a ball joint?? It's an '01 with 82k, never had them done. Thanks!!

Ball joints or the steering stops need to be greased.....

Have the front end checked and grease the items in the pic with grease on both sides with grease..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

A similar question... has anyone encountered a rattling/clunking noise on rough roads. It seems to be coming from the steering column in my 04' work Explorer SUV. I took it to a front end shop and they claimed they pulled and prodded and found nothing loose. It seems like the same thing that once happened in my old 89' Isuzu Trooper (that was a pathetic truck). They ended up having to rebuild the steering column in that one. Anyone had the same problem with an Explorer?

Hey Todd,

In the photo you attached, what exactly are the steering stops and would lithium grease be good to grease them with? I've had a similar popping sound on my '01 and had the same question as Mike.

Thanks.

THe steering stops are the greasy things in the picture. When you turn the truck all the way in either direction those 2 surfaces make contact. White Lithium would be fine.

Gotcha. Thanks Jeffksf, I'll grease mine up next time I'm under the ST.

Latest posts