Popping, clunking from driver's side front with burning smell

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Piroth

Reaction score
Had ball joints (& endlinks) replaced a few months ago, which took care of my previous front end issues, but now I've got quite a lot of popping and clanking coming from the driver's side front wheel area and I've noticed a burning smell similar to scorched rubber coming from the area as well. Two questions:

Am I right to think this might be the CV Joint?

(Possibly unrelated) Are the endlinks supposed to be somewhat loose? Mine spin freely and have a small bit of play top to bottom as well.

End links should be tight, not able to spin them at all...

True with stock links, not aftermarket. About 10-12 ft/ lbs with Moog's.

another possiblity is the wheel bearings. if the wheel shudders in turns then its bearings as that was my symptoms (shudder in turn at speed, popping and clicking) and your thoughts can and probably more accurate with the guess of CV axles. its very common to tear the boot and sling grease all over. i burned grease off on the right header when the boot blew. and then heavy weight gear oil on the left header when the pinion seal blew on front diff.

If it's the CV joint, the burning grease would explain the smell. I haven't noticed any leaking on the driveway though. It is likely it just throws grease when in motion?

Latest posts