PO171 Code

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Brewer

Reaction score
My ST is running great. Yesterday the check engine light came on and gave a code PO171. I know what the code is indicating, but what is the logical repair for this code?

Is it a Job 1 or Job 2 2001? If it's Job 1 (built pre 7/2000), then it's likely you'll need new intake manifold gaskets.

If it's Job 2, then it's likely the cracked elbow problem. The Job 1 engines don't have the elbow.

Thanks for the responses. It is a job2 ST and yes that is the only code. Where is the elbow located? Anyone have any pics available? Thanks!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
quick question, is there a difference in the lay out of the engine in a job 1 and a job 2.

i have always thought mine was a job 2 because i saw someone's job 1 engine and i

could of sworn it looked different than mine. but i have looked several times at my

engine and have never spotted the elbow. my build date is 07/2000

Arturo, my geuss from the build date you gave would say yours is a job1 motor. Look in my library and you'll see a pic of my motor, see how the TB cover is square and the intake manifold, that's a job2. A job1 will have a longer TB cover that covers alot of the intake. Hope this helps you out. :banana:

Job 1 - Aluminum Valve covers and throttle body, NO IAC elbow, Known for bad intake manifold gaskets......Oil Fill on Drivers side

Job 2 - Plastic valve covers and TB, Pass side Oil Filler neck, and common IAC issue and Common Elbow issue

Todd Z

jerry i have always been right, my engine looks exactly like yours. i do have the plastic valve covers, the square plastic throttle body cover, and my oil fill neck is on my passenger side. therefore, it has to be a job 2 but as someone has said, the picture above is a job 2, and i do not have the elbow just like how its pictured above.

sorry guys, ive been looking in the wrong spot lol. ive been looking at where the red arrow is, instead of the green arrow. no wonder i could never find it .

[Broken External Image]:

Glad you found it, I wouldve been able to figure out which motor you had but no picture to go by. Be glad you have the job2, they solved alot of issues the job1 had in it's design, it's cheaper and easier to repair and figure out problems. :banana::haveabeer: