Plastic noise anyone?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S

Reaction score
Maybe its just me and my vehicle but I have creaks like you wouldn't believe from the back of the car anytime the car goes over any kind of rough road. It sounds like it is coming from the back plastic covering, (the one that is behind the back seats that covers the sub) every time the car flexes. I have a 2005 Trac with leather interior. This noise is driving me crazy. Anyone else have this issue and fixed it?

I have had it to the dealer a couple of times and it keeps coming back.

This plastic cover behind the seats seems to me to be a very bad idea on Ford's part. It is a rattle chamber. Anyone take it out altogether?

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated. I also got some noise from the door seals - the dealer put some dry silicone on them and fixed it for a while. Now it is coming back also. Any suggestions here?

I have't been very impressed with all the rattles I've had with this new vehicle. :angry:

you could dynamat the back wall, to stop the vibrations, but that stuff gets expensive...me, i used a sound deadening spray to kill some of the rattle in back wall... i dont think youll ever get it all out though

andy

You could purchase some adhesive backed felt. The kind of stuff you put on the bottom of furniture legs to keep them from scratching your floor. Just cut it to fit and place it where the plastic door meets the frame. Worked for me.

As in my project on installing the C wells box, I just installed 2 stainless screws right through the 2 panels... Took care of the vibration....

Todd Z

Dave, Hope this helps... 1 on each side did the trick for me...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks for the great tips and the picture of the screw location. So I assme you drill this right into the metal that is behind the plastic panel?

Let me know and thanks very much again. I love this forum!:D

Dave,

I'm a Quality Control Technician/Squeak and Rattle Tech at Saturn in Spring Hill,

TN. This is what I do every day for a living!

Not to "Ring my own Bell", so to speak, but I'll tell you what we do to isolate,

or "Root Cause" the problem area.

Have a friend, spouse, etc... ride with you over the roads or surfaces that you

drive when you notice the noise(s). Have them sit in the problem area of the

vehicle (i.e., right front, drivers rear, or other). When you hit the road surface

where you start hearing the noise, have them press or push firmly on all of the

panels, trim pieces, mouldings, brackets, etc... and see if this stops the noise.

In 99% of the cases, this will isolate your problem. In the other 1% of cases,

you may have what we refer to as a "structural integrity" problem, although

this is rare (body weld, cab flex, or other problem).

I've had two of these issues with my '05. One was a loose drivers seat mounting

bolt (undertorqued), and the other was a left rear (drivers rear) door striker

out of adjustment from the factory, letting the door bounce, or vibrate on the

weatherseal, making a squeaking sound, since the door would not close tightly

against the door ring (body).

Hope this helps!:)

OK - Thanks - but I'm still curious as to what size bolts you used and how you drilled them and what into. If you can tell me that, I would appreciate it. I'm pretty sure the problem is coming from the same area that you put your screws into. What did you drill the bolts into?

Thanks in advance.

BTW - we have a 2000 Saturn SL2 with 115K miles on it and not a lick of trouble. It get's 38 miles per gallon on the freeway and just keeps on keeping on! :)