Plasma TV: Best Quality Per $,$$$

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sony is the shiz. We just got a 32" Sony hi-def (that's what would fit). Plasmas only come in 40" and larger but they are better for action and sports. Picture was much better than every other brand of TV on the wall.

Also my uncle works at a TV station in Pittsburgh and has said for years that Sony is the shiz and that's all they use where he works.

I wouldn't recommend making a major purchase at Circuit City. They're apparently marking up to mark down. And if you need to return a product....SOL?

http://consumerist.com/5079502/no-deals-notorious-compusa-liquidator-to-run-circuit-city-closings

http://consumerist.com/5082086/poll-will-you-shop-at-bankrupt-circuit-city

http://consumerist.com/5082349/insider-smart-shoppers-are-going-to-circuit-city-stores-that-arent-closing

Could not help my self after seeing xst post not in the second pic the speakers in the wall both sides of tv and center in the middle also have two in the ceiling and a sub in the floor grown men still playing with toys[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Lets see here. I have a 57" Hitachi(rear projection) it's ok, I have a 52" Panasonic lcd thats a bit better and also a 52" Mitsubishi lcd that just totally blows them all away. Was gonna buy a Sony but they have tons of issues and refused to go with DLP(a tv shouldn't have moving parts in it)

I agree with Gary D to a point. The units he suggests do indeed give the best picture but with budget in mind, here's the sam Panasonic plasma with a Blu-Ray player for ONLY $150 more than my first post. Also with NO shipping or tax. Under 1K for both is a screaming deal!!!

You may be thinking about the OLED. Organic LED. Very costly at this point.

Samsung has a new line with LED lighting around the bezel that's supposed to pretty cool looking.

LCD technology is coming WAY down in price. You will be able to get 32" LCD tv all day for a couple hundred by Christmas according to what I read somewhere.

Have had a 50" Panasonic plasma for 5 yrs, no issues. 1050 dpi, fantastic picture.

Parents have a 50" Sony DLP same amount of time, nothing but problems. Sony DLP has a good picture......when it works.

Panasonic has a great pic, always works.

Yeah that WAS Fast Eddie. It's been and gone! LCD wise 120 WAS the stuff. LED is supposedly better pic & life but now it's gone to laser!!! Haven't seen one of them either but from what I "hear"!!! Laser is the stuff now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the difference between a 60Hz and a 120Hz LCD is about $200. Guess that's not that big a deal.

I found a couple units that are carried is a few different stores in my area. This will make it easier for me to price shop them. Now I guess I need to decide between:

LCD Samsung LN46A630 1080P 40,000:1 120Hz 4ms $1499þ (or less)

Plasma Panasonic TH-46PZ85U 1080p 480Hz 30,000:1 $1499 (or less)

Both come highly recommended and have exceptional reviews. I'd say the Samsung brand has a slightly better rep regarding these TVs.

I'm also worried about the Plasma tv during transport.

Which one is better for viewing at side angels, plasma or LCD?

What else should I consider?

Plasma has a reflective screen, LCD does not.

If you are in a darker viewing environment, plasma is better, but if you have lots of windows or bright lights, LCD will be a better choice.

I have LCD because of a set of french doors beside the TV. The old glass tube would reflect so badly it sometimes looked like I was looking outside!

Well, given the reactions on this forum, owner reviews and a MMORPG gamer forum I often visit, I think the Samsung LCD will be the way I go.

Now I just need to find the best price on the planet for the Samsung LN46A630 1080P 40,000:1 120Hz 4ms.

I can get 0% for 3 years with Best Buy. I also have a Capitol one card with 0% until April that I got awhile ago.

I don't think I'm going to pay cash for it in one shot right now.

I think I'll wait until the 28th at like 3am to actually purchase the unit lol :) I took the day off work to ensure that I can get the best possible deals with time to spare!

Looks like I can pickup the Samsung LN46A650T for about the same price. It has 1 more HDMI inpit and 50,000:1 contrast ratio. I can't really find one locally and I sort of wanted to. In case of service issues or problems etc.