Pirellis too soft/expensive- new Adrenalin tires?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
Just turned 21K on my '08 Adrenalin and the Pirelli Scorpions are worn out. Anyone replace them with a less expensive tire, like Nexen or Hankook? Pirellis are $270 each- wondering if they are worth it.

I will be needing a new set of tires soon too, and am considering Vredestein's.. not a very popular brand in the US but it is a great tire.

I am right there with you guys - has anyone decided what the widest combo can be? Sitting lower like I do wants me to have a little fatter look - Ideas and confirmations that they dont rub when turning?

Wow!

Discount Tire locally told me the OEM Pirelli Scorpions on my '10 STA were either a 60k or 65k mile tire. And I bought a lifetime balance & road hazzard pkg from them even though they are OEM tires.

FYI: Discount Tire offers such a pkg/program. They had/have a Michelin tire as a replacement tire very close to the $270 figure you mentioned for the Pirellis too.

I'll replace the my OEM Pirelli Scorpions w/Michelins when the time comes, hopefully later than sooner. We run Michelin's on my '01 ST, wife's '04 Maxima & son's '05 ST. I've gotten over 100k on a set of Michelin's on my '01 ST.

BTW: Does your OEM Pirelli Scorpions ride rough the first few miles each day? Mine have since day one [Jan. 16, 2011]. They've been R & B once @ 6k miles & still ride the same.

FYI,

My experiance with hi-performance tire, is. It has never mattered what the manufactor says the treadwear is. Once you go over an H speed rating. V, Z, etc.

You will be lucky to get 30K miles. That will depend on your vehicle and your driving habits.

I have gone thru many brands of hi-po tires. It is always the same. Main reason is they are soft compound for dry traction.

I have had Z rated tires rated at 50K miles. On my past performance cars. They wore out at 20K. Nature of the beast.

I hate the OEM tires on my 2010 adren.....

Todd Z

Ok guys, let me take a swing at this. I am currently running a 275/45-20 on an 8.5"x20" wheel(Boss-#327)+. I will be going to a 285/35-22 next year on a 9.5"x22" wheel. The offset is 35mm for those who want to know. I have no clearance issues as I have stayed with the stock rolling diameter, so all my instruments read true. Now, I use a Toyo Proxes-STII and will use them for the new rims(Helo #866). This past season was the third year that I've had those tires. 50K+ and still has 25-30% of the tread left. They handle great on dry roads. No slip on sweeping wet turns, they wear like iron and I highly reccommend them as thier cost is much, much lower than many name brands. So take it for what its worth, your call, Bob

Bob C,

Toyo Proxes are very good tires. They dont get their due. When it comes to reports. When they do. The price will jump....:cry:

My one and only experience with Pirelli tires was for a set I bought for a '92 BMW 325i. They were the noisiest tires I've ever owned, and completely shot after 14K of normal driving. That's set me for life - I'll never, ever buy Pirelli tires again. Running a set of Michelin Cross Terrain P235/65R18 on my ST now that are very nice.

I am a Ford salesman and I hated the Pirelli's! I put Hankook Ventus ST 265/40R/22's on the "Nocturnal" STA and they are awesome. I put them on last year & I have put about 23,000 miles on them and they still look & ride great! I only paid about $160 a tire for them also.

Latest posts