Pinion Seal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed C

Reaction score
Well, my pinion seal is seeping. I know it's a $10.00 part but I also know that if not done right it can cause expensive damage to the diff. Has anyone taken theirs to the shop to get this done? If so, how much did it cost you?

I have the shop manual and I know i can do it myself . What I don't have is the proper tools and experience, so if it's not too expensive, I think I rather take it to the shop. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Ed

I just did mine myself. My Air impact got the pinion nut off no problem. Put it back together with the impact and it went fine.

I'd recommend having a 3 jaw puller on hand for the pinion flange and something to tap the seal into place, I used a large 4wd socket that was the same diameter of the outside lip on th enew seal.

AS far as a shop doing it, I've heard as little as $75 and on up from there.

the wifes 2002 explorer is leaving marks in the drive way:angry: i looked at it briefly as it is 10 degrees outside its differential fluid by the smell of it and looks like she has independent suspension in the rear. should i just fix the leak or replace all three bushings? How hard is it to drop the axles? i will let the local mechanic do the work as my garage is full. i know time for a bigger garage but for now i dont want to get screwed by the mechanic.

Latest posts