Pinhole coolant leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaffo oxnard

Reaction score
I have been smelling the hot coolant maple syrup smell for a while outside the truck and could never find a drip on the ground or anything obvious under the hood. No noticable loss of coolant, so I must have a pinhole or weeping connection someplace. All the hose calmps were retorqued. No help. I went ahead and drained a gallon of coolant and put in two tubes of Aluma Seal. This has stopped the smell, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Original water pump/radiator/heater core. 2001 w/ 91,000 miles.

Anyone else had similar? What part died first on you?

thanks

tony

I bet its the Water pump or the Thermostat housing leaking....... those 2 on the ST when they weep the coolant burns off before it hits the ground...

Todd Z

IMO, alumna-seal is the best, for small undetectable leaks. Also for small detectable leaks. I have had it last until the next coolant change. If I do a flush. I put more aluma-seal just for safe keep.

I have used alumna-seal for 40yrs with great success.

Good luck....

Yep, T-stat housing is a likely suspect. Mine went out too. Here's a link to a very detailed project on how to replace it, including a parts list. I replaced mine using this project as a guide, and it went smooth as silk.

I bought all of the parts (except the actual coolant) from our site sponsor Torrie at www.fastpartsnetwork.com. Parts ran ~$156 shipped.

Thanks! :haveabeer:

I will get the parts and do the t-stat housing, water pump, hoses and belt. Not taking any chances with my Cologne Germany made v-6.

Tony,

While I am an advocate of regular maintenance I would check thoroughly the items and not just replace parts....

A simple pressure test of the cooling system and a look around with a drop light can show you the leak...

I would have it tested first.

Todd Z