Performance upgrades question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie Anglin

Reaction score
Just a few questions before I sink $'s in performance items. Is there any hard data showing the increase in HP/torque by having dyno sheets before and after mods, this is on a 4.0 V6. Also how do the changes effect MPG. Also I have a 2005 ST Premium.

1. SCT tune or tune otherwise.

2. Same question with headers.

3 Same question with cat back systems or duals.

4. Same question with CAI

I have done some checking on this site, other sites, and vendors and am not coming up with any info. I am new here so if these questions seem ignorant, they are.

Oh yeah forgot, is there a how to make your own CAI on here with parts lists and such?

Thanks up front for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Willie, I can tell you what I did to my 2008 V8 and in what order, as it seemed to make sense at the time.

1) K&N intake kit for an Explorer model will fit fine. #63-?

2) Complete Magnaflow cat back exhaust system. #16679 I think. Duals can be done but you'll have to have most everything from the Y-pipe back made up.

3) Oversized throttle body from Todd at Zabtek Performance.

4) SCT XCal3 tuner from Torrie at Unleashed Tuning. Tell him what you've done and where you wanna be and he'll set it up.

Have not seen headers for the V8 models, but I think they can be found for the V6. Try Explorer Express, Jegs or Summit Racing.

As far as dyno sheets or whatever you can go by the manufacturers claims. With all that I did the most you can expect is maybe 25-30 horses I think. BC :eek:nline:

No to the headers on the V6. They have been dyno'ed. No gain and alot of pain to install.

performance filter.

zabteck TB.

Zabteck RT-Ypipe

cat back exhaust 2 1/2"tubing if you stay single out on the mufler. Dual out mufler do 2 1/4" tail pipes.

optional underdrive pulleys, w/altenator over drive pully..optional

Xcal3 tuner from site sponsor Torrie.

That will get as good as the 4.0 V6 wil get. Unless you supercharge. To me SC's not worth $4 for the trac, unless you have a alot of play $$.

Thanks for all the answers, especially about the headers. Also thanks for being kind to answer a newbies ignorant questions :supercool:

Two more questions,

1. Is there much of an advantage with a CAI over say just a K&N filter in the stock air box.

2. I just bought a 2005 premium ST for my wife. It is pretty much loaded but does not have a hitch but has the flat 4 plug. I am installing a hitch and will put a trans cooler on it but looked under the hood and in front of the radiator on the pass side (right) there is a little cooler of some sort, maybe 9" X 9". Is that a trans cooler?

Thanks again, willie

I never put on a CAI but in my opinion if you use a K&N replacement and pull the silencer out of the airbox, that's just as good.

Yes, that is a separate tranny cooler you're looking at. Tracs are rated to tow 5000 lb so I'd just leave it alone and change the fluid more frequently just to be safe if you tow a lot. I had a Hidden Hitch on my old '05 that I liked a lot. Tucks real close to the bumper and doesn't hang down real low like some hitches.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tune will give you the best bang for the buck power upgrade. The rest is really just fluff. The most fun mod, for me. was the exhaust. I love my exhaust.

psycareo, the thing I listed are not fluff. More air in and out makes performance. Then add the xcal3. It all works together.

Latest posts