PCV valve question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OFF TRAC

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here....been looking at the site for a while and it's pretty nice. Like the whole idea of everyone sharing ideas, pics of thier Trac's and what not. N-E ways, I have a question maybe one of you may be able to help me out with.

Where does the PCV valve on a 2002 ST go ? I called my Ford Dealership (Eagle Pass) gave them my ST's info and they said it had one. They quoted me a price of about 10 bucks for the valve. I then called Auto Zone, they ran the info and told me I they had it for 3 bucks. I went bought it and then took in my Trac for one of the factory recalls and told the Ford Service tech to go ahead and change the PCV valve since the Trac was at about the 100000 miles range that the service manual states it should be replaced. Well the Tech called me and said they couldn't find it. I told them it was fine, I picked up the Trac after the recall was fixed and now that the Trac has hit 103020 mile marker I would really want to know once and for all where it goes, if it even has one because I can't seem to locate it.I've looked under the hood, checked the head covers, removed the plastic cover, checked around the fuel rail hoses and I've checked repair manuals, basic repair books, called Ford here in Austin (they stated it didn't have one, that their computer didn't show a PCV valve on the 2002 Trac). N-E ideas/advice? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted by nobleman in another thread:

Behind and down from the ignition coil, on the back of the valve cover, between the cover and firewall.

It has a u shaped metal tube bent around it with 2 coolant hoses (small) attached to the metal tube.

The valve itself is a plastic twist lok type. I'm with caymen on this, it is a mother to change. You'll need hose pinch-offs, a remote wire-guided clamp tool, really small hands and a lot of patience.

BTW, it's a PCV valve. PVC (polyvinyl chloride) is a thermoplastic used for plumbing, tiles, etc. The valve in question is the PCV valve, positive crankcase ventilation, used to vent unburnt gases the get past the piston rings into the crankcase back into the intake, creating a more complete burn of all fuel. Just a little FYI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is a 2001 job 2, I think the 2002 should have one.

Rockauto.com shows it as the same one I have:

FRAM Part # FV375

{PCV VALVE PCV Valve}

$2.02 $0.00 $2.02

MOTORCRAFT Part # EV268

Sport Trac XL {#2L5Z6A666BA} $9.59 $0.00 $9.59

In theory, you should pinch off 2 small coolant hoses, use the remote wire guided hose clamp tool (sears), compress the clamps and move off / up the hose, remove the hoses, twist and pull out the old valve, insert and twist new valve, connect hoses, then re-position the clamps.

The replacement has been sitting on my shelf for the past 10 months. I'm 40K miles early for replacement, thought it would be nice to change as part of my tune-up, then saw the location, said "F this", and threw it on the shelf.

my bad...........yeah I noticed I entered PVC instead of PCV after I posted it up, oh well you guys knew what I was asking about....The PCV valve I got has been in my Trac's glove box sitting there for about 2 months while I got the run around trying to figure out where it goes, you'd like to think FORD Techs would know this huh ??? N-E ways I'm starting to think the same as nobleman with the "F this" now that I know where it goes. ;-)

David,

http://www.autobarn.net/unhoclre.html

Thanks Todd I've never seen those before. Something else to add to the old Christmas list. I've always said that any job is easy as long as you have the right tools (or know that the right tool exists) :)

There you go, That will work just as good...

Todd Z

I put one on my Trac. I just twisted the PCV valve out, Then I spread the metal tube out a bit, pulled off the valve and slipped the new one in place. Closed up the tube a bit and it was done. Not bad at all.

Good Luck,

Bob