Passing CA smog with Apten Chip

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJ19

Reaction score
Hello Fellow STers!

I wasn't sure what category to put this topic under so I placed it under General Info if that's ok.

Anyhow, I've been summoned to a CA smog check soon and was wondering if any of you have passed with an Apten 3 position chip(I know its old..hehe) and a performance air flow meter(I forgot which one but was sold here from one of our sponsors a while ago. I just remember it is 75mm wide). I also have an intake and FM40 exhaust but I don't think that would cause any issues, right?

With this setup, can I still pass CA smog emissions? Or do I have to put back the OEM air flow meter and take out the chip? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-LJ

A 3 position chip has one of those settings off. Turn it off and unplug the battery for a few minutes. It is now like not haing a chip. Is the MAF meter CARB certified? If not, revert back to stock. As for exhaust, i don't know what to say.

Tom

With the apten just remove the chip, as long as you still have your cats, no issue with the Muffs, they will not have a clue as to what MAF you have.

As R said drive it for a week or so before the deed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff guys! Thanks!

Just a few quick questions for clarification:

Do I switch the chip to "Off" or should I just remove it from the truck completely? I have to disengage the battery correct?

As far as the MAF goes, my MAF is chrome. Would that cause the smog techs to question it because it doesn't look OEM, or it still wouldn't matter?

When the truck is back to its regular programming (w/o any chip or chip in "off" position), how will the truck react? I figure for that week or so the truck won't shift as firmly as it does now, and hopefully that won't cause any tranny problems. I get tranny service every year just to be safe. What do you think?

I still have the cats, just took off the OEM exhaust and added the FM.

Thanks guys.

-LJ

If it were me, I would remove the chip & replace it with the OEM chip at least 10 days before you take it in to have it smoged. When I had our ST smoged last June I just set it back to OEM tune and left everything else alone. See profile for info. to numerous to list.

Cool! Thanks guys!

Just to be safe, I'm going to replace the MAF with the OEM MAF and set the Apten chip to "off". Disengage the battery for a few minutes, then reattach it. Drive it around for a little longer than a week to let the system learn the program again, and finally head into the shop to get it smogged.

Hope it goes well! Cross your fingers for me.

Thanks again guys,

LJ

Just an update.

All is well with passing the test. I did everything just as said above. I kept the chip on the OEM program since the gas prices have soared. That sucks.

Public transportation--Here I come!

Latest posts