Parking brake cable adjustment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Jorczyk

Reaction score
My parking brake goes almost all the way to the floor before the pads hold tight against the rotors on my 2003. Is there away to adjust the cable? I looked underneath, but did not see where the cable could be adjusted. I don't believe the star wheel adjustment at the pads will resolve the problem.

Any suggestions, thanks for the help

Greg

Though the Haynes manual linked below excludes the ST it could of some help. Disc brakes on rear, right? The parking brakes are shoes inside drum machined inside the rear rotors. It's a separate mechanism from the disc brake caliper/pads that do the normal braking. I'd start with pulling the rear rotors for inspecting the parking brake shoes, then move forward with the parking brake cable(s) to pedal under dash. Assuming your pb shoes and adjusters are OK, then look for a cable adjustment mechanism going forward. If there isn't one then you must have a stretched cable that needs replacement. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 03 has the mini drum..... adjustable in 2 places.....

Best bet is just like a drum brake through the rear baking plates..... should take 3 min a side to adjust..

Todd Z

Ford has discontinued the spring kit for rear drums on Gen 1 ST's. That spring kit also includes the e-brake cable return spring. It isn't available anywhere else that I have found, beside oem. While I have sourced two kits...they cost $25 each...for 1 fricking spring that I need.

Does anyone have another source for that long spring.

thanks all

Latest posts