Paging Caymen - Rear Disc conversion ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Vinke

Reaction score
I am doing the rear disc brake conversion and bought what is the exact same thing as the M-2300-G kit, except used and removed from an Explorer/F-150 8.8 rear (picked it up for $110 shipped).

In your tutorial, under parts needed you have "Left and right side brake hoses". I know the actual Ford M-2300-G kit does not include hoses, bleeders, washers, or banjo bolts, but the used "kit" I bought has all of those. Do you know if the Explorer/F-150 stock soft hoses will work, or do I need 03 Trac soft lines?

I used Explorer hoses. Worked perfect. The parking brake cables were from a 2003 Sport Trac.

Make darn sure you got Explorer brakes.

Tom

Dan, I used the entire disk brake system from a 95 Explorer, including all brake lines (hard and soft) and cables. Everything was a direct swap except for the Ebrake bracket on the diriver's side.

was not you that said rear drums are no better then rear disc's.

why the conversion?

Personally, I like rear disk brakes. I know on the Explorer Sport Trac, Ford realized that Disk brakes were an improvement over the drum brakes, that is why in 2003, they went to 4 wheel disk.

GM, for example went from 4 wheel disk brakes back to drum because in that aplication, drum brakes performed better.

Unlike you, I keep my vehicles 10 to 15 years. I usually get rid of them with 150,000 to 200,000+ miles. I personally feel that is the best ROI I can make. Plus I hate to have a car payment since I like to live debt free. My $23,050.67 I purchased in 2002 will be worth $1,000, or so, in 2017, my total cost to own that vehicle breaks down to only $1,400/year or only $122.00/month.

Anyways, I personally prefer to have 4 wheel disk brakes. If I got an escape for my wife tomorrow, I would be building my own rear disk kit because I no how to do it.

Tom

I feel the same way, I personally hate drum brakes! I keep my vehicles 10-15 years as well and put at least 200k miles on them, and I change my brakes myself (along with all other work to my vehicles). I absolutely despise changing drum brakes, they are the biggest pain in the azz.

I've heard the argument that drum brakes are better, so why then do all high sports cars come with rear disc brakes? For one, disc brakes cool much better, especially if using a vented type rotor, keeping the brake fade down.