p0765 won't go away

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've got an 01 Sport trac with its second transmission in it. I am having issues resolving this code. P0765. I have changed the valve body and harness. Now I am getting the 2nd and 5th incorrect ratio codes. Am I just SOL and going to have to either rebuild or install a reman.? Anyone ran into this code?

It actually sounds like one of the solenoids in the pack is bad. Just because its rebuilt, MOST rebuilders NEVER change the solenoids......

AND that causes 80% of the problems.

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. I ohm checked the old one and it seemed to test ok. Maybe I'll order a new one and drop the pan again. It's weird when I clear the codes the light doesn't come on for a while. Could it be internal?

Thanks for the responses. I've gotten it now were the light will go off and stay off for a while and then randomly after shutting the truck off and restarting it will pop up. I'll reset and drive around and nothing but it is reading it as pending(but only sometimes). Could this be a short? Any idea where to start? I am getting voltage at the harness. Could it be a bad pcm? Maybe a bad ground somewhere? I am baffelled! Thanks you for your responses.:banghead:

Thanks for the responses. I've gotten it now were the light will go off and stay off for a while and then randomly after shutting the truck off and restarting it will pop up. I'll reset and drive around and nothing but it is reading it as pending(but only sometimes). Could this be a short? Any idea where to start? I am getting voltage at the harness. Could it be a bad pcm? Maybe a bad ground somewhere? I am baffelled! Thanks you for your responses.:banghead:

Being that the p0765 is a circuit code for shift solenoid D I don't suspect that you have an internal trans failure. If you have verified the wiring is good from the solenoid to the pcm and also verified that the pcm is actually commanding the solenoid then i would suspect a bad shift solenoid D. I know you said that you ohm tested it but that test is useless when it comes to an electrical part that is failing intermittently. The problem with ohm testing is that it does not check the circuit when it is under load.

Hey all,

So very strange update. Been driving around and had to keep clearing the codes. But it's been about 3 weeks since I last had to clear anything. I'm baffled the tranny is shifting perfectly. No codes, no slips, nothing. Thanks for all the advice and recommendations. I have no exact answer to what fixed it.

Hey all,

So the other day I was driving after a pretty good amount of rain and the light popped on. Any idea if it is a short and where that short might be? It seems to only come on when there is wet weather. thank you for your help!

There's a sb about the connections getting wet and causing problems if I'm remembering right . Pull connections at trans and clean them good. Hope this helps?