P0171 and P0174 codes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok the otherday I had these codes and and a P0300 misfire. Well I checked the plug wires and I think I just had a bad connection on the #3 wire. Well I reset my truck and my engine light came on. I checked my CEL again and just had the P0171 lean fuel in bank 1 and P0174 lean fuel in bank 2. I had added a volant cold air intake and the zabteck throttle body. I know with those my air ratio to fuel is increased. I also have a screamin demon coil pack and livewires and bosch iridium fusion spark plugs. I don't think it is the spark plugs because I think I would also have a misfire. Might I need to get a performance fuel pump? What other problems could cause these codes to pop up? And what Can I do to fix them?

Might I need to get a performance fuel pump? What other problems could cause these codes to pop up? And what Can I do to fix them?

No performace fuel pump. You did not add any real performance items. The TB is a nice add on, but no real performance item. Same with the intake. Plugs, coil, and wires will never give you any performance. If you think Bosh plugs are performance plugs...well...Think what you want.

The lean condition is caused by an air leak causing unmetered air going into your engine. the engine does not know about that air causing your engine to run lean. The largest fuel pump in the world is not going to fix it.

You have an air leak. Check your connections and check the elbow for the PCV system.

This is not a hard fix. If you still get a misfire, replace your plugs with the right plugs.

Bosch plugs are garbage. I have replaced more Bosch plugs than ony other.

Tom

I had the same code, do a search for this using the blue buttons on this page... I looked for leaks in the PCV system. I replaced the rubber parts with 5/8 inch heater hose and was good. Also a new PCV costs about $10 using some of our ford parts sponsors.

I found oil in the line, so the PCV was leaking.

Coastie Joe put some pix out in July for a cracked PCV hose. I have almost the same set up as your truck. We are intaking more air, and this may affect the hoses; ie collasping under pressure. Replacing the hose/elbows maybe the weakest link. I replaced the valve yesterday and got another code, so its ongoing sometimes, but WORTH IT !

THANKS guys !!!!

Brad, DID you swap the gasket from your old TB to the new one ????

also look on the left of the TB there is a rubber elbow, check it for cracks. IT normally cracks on the bottom so you need to remove it to check...

ALSO those with Check engine lights, YOU seriously need to fix things, the light is there for a reason....

I have every small bolt on MOD including everything I sell on my truck and NEVER got a CEL from any of it...

There is something wrong, either installed wrong, or a sensor is bad....

PLEASE fix the vehicle, you should NOT LIVE with a CEL, period.

Todd Z

I agree about the CEL. It ruins my day to be staring at the yellow light. My CEL was off then I changed the PCV and its on again. The valve is working, no oil.

I may look into stonger hose, (blue).

WHAT SENSOR MEASURES THE INTAKE AIR LEAK?

I will get the code read today..maybe its a different one. Could be an O2 sensor.

I did take the intake off to do the fan belt.

I have sometime today to slow down and look for stuff and it should be sunny too.

I did some TLC cleaning yesterday.

Things are little cray these days. Microsoft exams, a school loan due in Feb, trying to start a family, work is bugging about driving Naval Academy alumni for the game. (game is at noon, by its the hurry up and wait at 430am to go thru inspection)

Working on my trac is actually relaxing