Overhead Console

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDA CPA

Reaction score
I have been searching the threads, but no luck on finding an answer so I apologize if this is a duplicate post.

The overhead console that houses the controls for the moon roof has a compass and exterior temperature (digital) gauge has stopped working. Stealer told me the whole overhead console (convenience) part has to be replaced.

I am wondering if a bulb is out or a fuse or something. Does anyone have any experience on repairing? Thanks

Don't know if it's posted here or not, couldn't put my finger on it. Check the link below. It's a solder joint problem most likely.

Stealer told me the whole overhead console (convenience) part has to be replaced. [\quote]

:soap:

I'm sorry. I've been quiet about this long enough. Just because Ford or their supplier won't sell something to the dealer the way you want it, that makes us "Stealers?" It's not the dealer's fault that TRW, Hitachi, or whoever made the assembly for your vehicle won't provide replacement parts inside it. Some of the assemblies can't be repaired without causing more damage to the housing or other components inside. It may also be cheaper to replace the assembly than to repair it. Granted, there are times that it is ridiculous to buy a whole assembly when it is obvious that one component can be replaced. I know that some of the overhead consoles have the compass module bolted in, but it can't be purchased separately. I can't tell you how many times a day that I hear, "But I took it out, so they should offer a replacement for just this little spring, doodad, gizmo, or whatever I'm working on!" If I have offended anyone, I'm sorry. I just needed to get this off my chest.

Not to get off topic, but no the "stealers" word came from a reference used on other forums filled with DIY guys who have been over-charged for services and parts and post DIY's. The mark up is crazy and the time estimates are out of line and sometimes being billed for services you never receive.

Two examples:

Took the truck in for a routine, oil change, tire rotation, etc. I knew we had a small leak in one of the tires. Few days after the truck was back, same tire in the same location was low on air. Rotation never occurred, but we were charged. So I go inspecting some other things and I find a "snap-on" ratchet lodged up in front by the radiator.

My wife took the ST into the dealer for some repairs. $3,000 estimate. I got involved and after some discussion and inquiry into the repairs the invoice ended up being $1400.

I understand making a profit and I understand overhead and pricing, but selling what you do not need and/or do not do, that is stealing. No offense to you, I am sure there are plenty of reputable dealers and I do agree with you about the "throw away" mentality of the manufacturers (and not just in cars and trucks).

Ok, I have to ask.. Did someone toggle the middle switch to the off position? That switch should toggle the display from Fahrenheit, to Celsius, to off...

I had the same problem. My display started to dim and I would tap it to get it to come back on but over time it just stopped working. What I do not remember was if I replaced the wiring harness or the compass part.

The place I bought it from was: https://www.longlewisfordparts.com

Type in your info, click on console and then overhead console , they also show an illustration of the overhead console

Give them a call they are very helpful and the prices a good too

hope it helps

Great info Brian.. I'm having the same troub w/ fade out and finally biting the dust. I'll check out this website if I can't find at salvage.

Regarding "stealers", there are a lot of reputable dealers who are honest and realize it only takes a couple people to get ripped off before they get a bad rep all over town and put them out of biz.

Latest posts