Out of Answers - Please Help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris M 2

Reaction score
I've done just about every project recommended on the site to correct engine troubles. They keep coming back. Wish I knew what I'm doing wrong... :wacko:

Right now, the engine hesitates, sputters, and stalls while I'm driving. I shift it down into neutral and start it again... usually takes at least two tries, and I have to pump the gas to keep it going.

This started happening again yesterday and was worse today. I don't have any idea what else to do about it.

To date, I've done these projects, all according to the MYST project specs:

* Cleaned the IAC

* Cleaned the throttlebody

* Cleaned the MAF

* Did the SeaFoam treatment

* Checked for the "cracked elbow," and it's fine. I pulled it off and inspected it up close.

* Cleaned the TPS with electrical contact cleaner

* Made sure to disconnect the negative battery cable when doing mods and maintenance

The truck is a 2002 two-wheel drive with 47,300 miles on it. I've installed a K&N Series 77 air intake and done the intake breather bypass project.

I REALLY appreciate any guidance anyone cares to offer! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuel Filter

Oil on the Maf, Wrong cleaner used ???

You get no CEL???

Todd Z

IAC...if it starts the stall don't pump the pedal just keep it open to allow air into the engine untill you get it fixed...

No check engine light....the thing just sputters and stalls. Shouldn't have oil on the MAF... I just cleaned it with MAF spray cleaner about a week or so ago. Is it possible the MAF can get dirty/oily again that quick?

Chris,

Did you spray the fluid directly into the MAF and onto the sensor? If so, it's possible the force from the spray damaged the MAF sensor.

Also, replace the IAC. Get it from Advance Auto, change it in the parking lot with 7-8mm sockets, see if it fixes it. If it doesn't fix it, return it :D

* Cleaned the TPS with electrical contact cleaner

If you cleaned the TPS (throttle position sensor) with the wrong thing it will damage it. I found out the hard way. If the tps is acting up. Best replace it. You need a vom to test the tps.

If you were talking about the MAF. See what Todd and Jeff said.

Sometimes you need to admit defeat and just take it into the shop and have it checked out. I know I have gotten cars in before where the cust has replaced just about everything and done everything and spent $500 and come to find out it was a $50 part all along.

I'm getting to that point, I1tech... I'm gonna try a few things this weekend. If that doesn't do it, into the shop it goes.

The only bummer to replacing the IAC is price... looks like they run about $100 in my area, unless I get this weird-looking $50 one from Auto Zone:

[Broken External Image]:

On this one the plug comes out the back instead of off the side, and the openings to the engine look completely different than stock. Anybody have one of these? I'd like to save $50 unless it's gonna cause a problem down the road.

I'd personally check with Walls Ford (under site sponsors) and buy it thru them.. I've never seen the one above..OEM will give you peace of mind.

I would check and verify the fuel delivery volume, and pressure before changing parts out. A filter is good, anyway, but you need to have a number to go by (psig @ gpm). the next time it stalls, turn the key to on, wait for the fuel pump to shut off, 4 times, and then see if it will start right up...

Latest posts