OT: Television Screen Woes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Withers

Reaction score
Gotta love kids!

Tonight one of my two young children decided to see if a magnet would stick to the screen of our television, and alas I have a fist sized green spot in the center of the screen. Is there any way to fix it? It is a conventional CRT type television. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chad W.

There may be a way to degauss (SP) it in the menu options...

I also believe if you unplug it let it sit and then plug it back in and turn on it should degauss the screen...

IF not it may be shot..

Todd Z

most repair shops have a tool that will fix it by just waving it in front of the tv we had one at our pawn shop but i can't remember what its called

Joey, was it a Degausser Wand?

Sorry Chad, I couldn't resist.

Edit:

To make up for my foolishness I did a Google and found quite a bit of info. I read in one article that the green spot will disappear in time. In another article, it mentioned using a "degaussing coil". Hey, I was close! Do a Google on 'degaussing coil'. I read that it'll fix it, but if used wrong can make problem worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will clear up over short time. I did the same thing by setting a non shielded speaker too close to the tv. Spot went away in a few days.

If you have a soldering gun(not iron) plug in, pull the trigger, circle around the outside of the screen twards the middle pull away and release the trigger and it will go away.

Most older CRT laden TV's has a degaussing circuit built in that energizes for abot 5 secs or so at startup. A magnet in front of the screen is too much disturbance for the auto circuit to take care of even over time (usually).

I made a wand one time by taking the coil out of an old TV and soldering on a cord. Worked great but you couldn't leave it on longer than about 15 secs. Just another option.

Latest posts