OT: Stranger in a strange land

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caymen, I don't think the USA is far behind, just so much bigger. Tokyo public trans is a little better than NYC, for instance, but both are comparable for large cities. The difference still between much of Asia (the concentrated areas) and Europe, vs the US is the relative size and relative concentrations. We simply have suburban sprawl, and rural areas, not accessible by mass trans because our size and lower population densities in those areas allows it.

TJR

What's up with the Yen today?

At week's beginning, the yen was trading about 122.33 on the dollar, today, the yen shot up to around 118.65 to the dollar. Now it's coming back down and is sitting at 119.11 to the dollar. It's not the dollar, as it has gained slightly on the Euro.

I have to disagree with your reasons with mass transit. We do not even have a viable train system. Amtrak, what a joke.

Tom

When gas gets to $6.50/gal in the US like it is in Europe, people will be begging for a mass transit system. Until then, it is nicer to ride in a car on our own schedule.

The sad part is it is like that in our country, not others.

The German mass transit is the government, Deutsche Bahn or DB for short. They are the ones responsible for maintaining and controlling the rail system in Germany.

I would be willing to bet it is also true for Japan, France, Italy, and other countries with a real public transportation system that actually works.

Now you ask yourself, if other governments can do it, why can't ours?

Is it because our government is corrupt? Is it because our system breeds corruptness or lazyness? Of are those in the government too lazy to hold a real job, that is why they work for the government? Has our government actually failed us?

I do not know.

I do know I was able to hop on a train, ride comfortably at speeds exceeding 120 MPH, walk to a different car, grab a bite to eat and a beer to drink, on my way to another part of the country. I was then able to get there on time, hop on a streetcar, ride to a different part of the city, then hop on a bus. I was within 2 blocks of my grandmothers place and spend a weekend with her.

Tom

Americans would never allow ~18-23% sales taxes like in Europe. Imagine a 10% federal tax added on to the existing taxes in order to fund rail systems and free secondary schooling. Would citizens go for it?

C,

Do Germans pay income tax? I will email my friend form Germany and ask him. I just want to know if you know for sure. While we are at it, eliminate corporate tax's. We already pay them anyways. Eliminate that too.

I would gladly pay a 25% sales tax if it would eliminate income tax's. Income tax's are communist thinking anyways. We have been brainwashed to think it is our American duty to pay income tax's.

Tom

Tom,

Communists governments don't charge tax. They own the whole country -- lock, stock and barrel. They provide all necessary services to the people, like transportation, medical and educational services. The people operate these essential services and provide the industrial output. In return the government pays them a small stipend so they can buy food and other necessities.

Tom-

Not sure about income taxes in Germany? I was referring to high sales taxes. I do know that Belgians pay high income taxes because my coworkers complained;).

:eek: Gott a agree with Tom on this one. Well not completely, the house might burn down, but at least on the gov't transportation thing.

Back in England it was run by the gov' and called British Rail. Now it has many names dependent on the part of the country and the owner. When it was British Rail it ran like clockwork. Since privatization it has gone down hill to the point of missed schedules, disrepair and even a higher incidence rate. Prices have gone up, service has gone down.

Also, UK does pay income tax and that high sales tax.

grump

Poland charges 22% sales tax on most non-food items, 7% on food items and 44% (to increase in the near future) on petrol (gasoline). In return, the people get pothole-ridden roads, scant interstate highways, and almost non-existent welfare services. Of course the average Pole only earns $400/month, so they can't afford to buy much, and therefore not much tax is collected. I also think there is a huge underground market which by-passes taxation.

Oh yeah, to keep this on track -- TJR I hope you enjoy your time in Japan. Be careful of those extra services at the barbershop. They could be expensive. ;)

Caymen, don't get me wrong, our regional rail systems suck, as do our metro systems, compared to what I have seen in Tokyo. They are state of the art, clean, and all that.

You said "easy to use, efficient, and affordable"....I think they mostly have us beat in efficient. To pay $25 US for a 50 minute train ride, one way, is pretty expensive. As far as "ease of use", I dunno which is easier...getting around NYC or Tokyo. They seemed about the same to me.

TJR

Latest posts