OT: Stranger in a strange land

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Rogers

Reaction score
Just checked into my hotel room in Tokyo a few minutes ago. This is my first trip to Japan. I'm on business.

Wish me luck. Will be leaving on Friday.

Already got stiffed $25 USD at the currency exchange...stupid me, didn't properly count the Yen I got back.

If that's the only bad thing that happens this trip I will be happy.

TJR

I'm sorry to here that you got stiffed at the currency exchange. I have never even had a hint of trouble during my five times in Japan. I have always been treated great. Have fun and be flexable. Enjoy the different culture.

Jerry

If you need more money, get it from an ATM. Under Federal Law you will ONLY receive a charge if the ATM has a charge, which, you will have to agree to as it must be displayed and you must accept it. You will receive the very best currency exchange rate as it is Federally mandated. It is also the BEST way to buy things as once again the currency rate is protected.

You will see out and about town they will charge more and blame it on the exchange rate. By using ATM's and debit cards you can not get nailed by the exchange rate.

A couple of things I learned while in Japan:

Don't try to take your Hotel key with you when you go out, as it should remain at the front desk until you return. If you are lucky enough to get a seat on the train, don't offer it to a lady that is standing, as it will only embarrass her and make you the talk of the train car. The swapping of business cards is a rather formal thing in Japan, and if given one you should take it with both hands, read it, and then place it in front of you at the meeting table and not just stick it in your pocket (as this is considered rude). The Japanese can be stand-offish at first, but I found them to be very cordial and generous once they get to know you. I came home with many gifts and was treated very kindly.

Update: I didn't get stiffed at the currency exchange after all...just having trouble keeping track of my expenses. I forgot I paid in Yen for the train from Narito to Tokyo Station.

It's all good so far.

I am with a co-worker who is a native and he is translating as needed. All is good so far. Having a great time.

Thanks for all the pointers....I have most of the business etiquitte already down having worked with the Japanese for over a year now.

TJR

I miss my Japanese coworkers. They were a great bunch of guys who always took me out and let me experience their world.

[Broken External Image]:

TJR - it was somewhat rhetorical....and stolen from about 1012 hack comedians.

Watch out on that fugo - saw a Simpsons episode once where the wrong guy was doing the cutting and it almost took Homer out.

JT#14

We didn't have the Fugo, but I must say, I have been eating very good. I keep getting stuffed every meal, but surprisingly, with all the walking to an from trains and subways, I think I might actually be losing weight. ;)

TJR

TJR,

I wonder if you feel the same way as I did while in Europe. Isn't it nice to have a public transportation system that is easy to use, efficient, and very affordable?

While I was in Germany for three months, we had a van to drive, but we only used it to go to and ROM work because we needed the van for the refinery.

I traveled between my grandmothers, in Northern Germany, all the way to the Oktoberfest in Munich, without ever needing a car.

The USA is so far behind the times it is sickening.

Tom

Lil Red,

Be careful what you wish for. I did 9 years of business travel. It gets old really quick. I mean REALLY QUICK.

We would travel all night long just to spend a few hours at home...even if that time was sleeping in my own bed.

Tom

Latest posts