OT: Sign a petition to save Windows XP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea but of course it won't work. MS is going to shove their new operating system down our throats whether we like it or not. That's why I build my own.

TomT,

Even for home built, if M$FT goes through with this you won't be able to get a legal XP license anymore. Those OEM licenses that you buy from reputable resellers will be gone, leaving only the shaddy ones that resell Dell OEM, and Gateway OEM licenses, etc will be left, and soon that supply will vanish.

This can affect you too.

TJR

Not if I continue to use the same license. That's the good thing about stand alone licenses instead of those that come with ready made systems. Of course eventually MS will stop supporting XP. That's when I will be affected.

TomT,

Agreed. But with the whole Genuine Windows Authentication stuff it will still probably hit you sooner than you think or want. All they have to do is turn off activations and authentications for all Windows XP at that date and we'd all be bumming...and that's one of the threats.

TJR

Personally I was not a big fan of Vista, I had to set up a desktop that had Vista when it first came out and it was a big headache. I recently purchased a laptop that had Vista on it and was pleasantly surprised. Once I switched off that stupid User Account Warning crap and set it to 'classic' mode I really did not have any complaints about it. Everything that I installed/hooked up to it worked, it seemed a little more friendly then when it first came out. Just my findings. . .

There was a figure floating around the internet(Paul Thurrott??) 250,000,000 million computer sales world wide.........100,000,000 Vista, the rest XP

Check this out .....

I don't think MS will drop XP support anytime soon. There would be an outrage. But they will definitely quit supplying it for new store bought computers in the next few months. I don't think they will drop XP until their next operating system hits the shelves. Any sooner and everyone will be buying Macs. It's not so much that Vista sucks but it's no improvement over XP.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one will buy a mac in lieu of their pc. The mac commercials make pcs out as being dorky, "for the workplace only", while mac is all about "fun". Most PC sales are workplace related; apple is not making itself an alternative to the pc.

That said, there's also the fact of incompatibility with software and formats for mac, rarer software--and when you do find it, it costs much more, more expensive hardware and less flexibility due to macs being a semi-closed system, and then the hated one button mouse.

If vista becomes mandatory, well, most of my pcs run win2k anyhow, and I can easily switch over to linux if need be. No special apple computer to buy, as running osx on a pc is just wrong to me.

I agree with Olaf... daughters laptop has Vista. Once set up in classic, it really is almost transparent to me. I am just not a big fan of all the super hardware vista requires, for those of us with older machines, we shouldn't have to upgrade "just because". MSFT needs to continue support of an operating system that has a smaller footprint. Of course, they are the supplier, so it's thier choice, but as long as folks are willing to buy it, why not continue to sell it and support it?

Yes Vista SP1 is supposed to make it faster, more compatible and use less resources. By the time Microsoft stops supporting XP in 2-3 years Vista will have all the bugs worked out.

Windows 3.1,95,NT,98,ME,2000, and XP still don't have all the bugs worked out. In 2-3 years there will still be hotfixes and security patches aplenty.

I agree with Cruzrtwdgt--when an operating system requires more from your system than the trend-establishing games and graphical applications of only a few years back, there is a problem. Vista doesn't have a footprint--it has a meteor crater.

Read an article today. Tested vist sp1 and xp sp3 on the same computer. XP was the winner.

Vista will get better as hardware gets cheaper. I remember reading the same test results comparing windows 98 to XP.

No one will buy a mac in lieu of their pc.

That may have been true back when Macs were stuck in their PowerPC days, but today? I think you'd be crazy to at least not consider going that route. What other system lets you (legally) run Windows, MacOSX and Linux all on the same machine? Best of all worlds.

That said, there's also the fact of incompatibility with software and formats for mac, rarer software--and when you do find it, it costs much more, more expensive hardware and less flexibility due to macs being a semi-closed system, and then the hated one button mouse.

Only thing incompatible are WMA and WMV videos that have DRM built in. Software is a null issue as you can run anything for the Mac, plus windows programs too. Hardware price is debatable. Definitely more expensive then generic PCs, but the resale value is also a lot higher.

I'll agree on the one button mouse though. Stupid thing to sell in this day and age. I tossed mine into the closet and replaced it with a nice multi button logitech mouse within seconds.

DOS 2.1 or bust. :)

Had a problem this morning with a Vista PC. Windows applied automatic updates, and the wireless networking stopped working. Had to uninstall the updates to correct the problem. The PC in question isn't even 2 weeks old. For a non-techies, this stuff is truly painful.

I'm also having a ton of problems with some of the Windows 2007 server products.

The quality control on this stuff is just abysmal. As long as Microsoft makes money from upgrades and support, it always will be.

Latest posts