OT: Side Arm Purchase

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a handgun with my tax return this year. It will be my first handgun, but not my first gun. Currently I do not have a consealed weapons permit in any state, however once we move to Cali I plan to take whatever steps are required to get one.

I have only ever shot a 9mm (as far as handguns go) so I don't have a lot of experiance. I would like to get something that both my wife and I can be comfortable shooting. I'm looking mostly for personal protection with a little bit of sport shooting. We both grew up around guns and have shot plenty of other guns without much experiance with handguns.

So immediately 9mm comes to mind, and I'm not sure that is the best choice. I would prefer a semi-auto over revolver. Can anyone give me some info on which caliber would be best and if there are any brands to avoid? Should I buy new or used? Anything else I'm missing?

Glock. Glock. Glock. I own a model 22, .40cal. Slightly bigger than a 9mm but shoots very well.

Edit: I agree with ironbar, if the caliber doesnt begin with a 4 dont buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest at least a .40 cal. if you would like something with stopping power.

The Springfield XDs are very nice. My personal carry weapon is a Sig p239 because of its size.

Check out the Springfield XD, they have it both in 9mm and 40 S&W. The 40 would be my preference personally. there are a lot of good quality handguns out there, but buy namebrand, Smith&Wessen,colt, glock, springfield,kimber,browning. Just to name a few. With firearms, you really get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap gun, you may not want to depend on it if the chips come down.

Also getting a Concealed in the peoples republic of california will be difficult, especially if you live in the major cities.

Have a good one

Bob

What's the overall thought about Sigs? I had a Glock 22 as well (heavier frame than the 9mm) but never shot it much and ended up selling it but it was a very nice handgun.

Professionally I shoot a Sig 239 and a 229. Basically the same gun, same bullets (both in my case are .357's). One gun is slightly smaller than the other, holds less bullets and is thinner as the bullets are stacked right on top of each other. The wider gun the bullets are stacked on top of each other but offset allowing more bullets in the magazine.

Very accurate weapon. You can get a 40 cal barrel and simply put it in place of the 357 if you wish.

I have both barrels as the 40 call ammo is MUCH cheaper. So I practice with the 40 cal and then swap the barrel out for work purposes. Also, the magazine is the same for both the 40 cal and the 357 so you will have no additional expense there...

I remember the 9mm having a decent kick to it (for not regularly shooting a handgun) is my wife going to have any problems keeping and holding steady a .40?

Sidenote

I can't really spend more than about $500.. I was just looking at Sigarms website and both the recommendations from Coastie were prices significatly higher than that.

If you cap is $500, I would look at the Spring XD or the Glock.

Your wife can fire a .40 cal. Just make sure you get a weapon she can grip well. Frame size is important.

Personally, I dislike Glock and would suggest the XD. A friend of mine just bought a XD .40 for $400 with two clips.

edit: ...and molded holster

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Glock, since you were thinking about 9mm go with the 19. Use Cor-Bon +p. Its the same as a +p+ which is what LEOs use. I carry the Glock 19 with the Cor-Bon +p 115 grain which is also hollow point. So if you go with this round you will get close to the 40 if not the same effect. In my experience the round that you carry makes the difference. Cause the velocity (feet per second) of the round will make a difference. The round I carry is hot and fast so depending on the use of the gun determine the type of round you will need.

:eek: I know I just started something but oh well :eek:.

Cho Seung-Hui recommends Glock. :blink:

73acfc3cffba999abb3523f3c3c6085d.jpg

I too recently purchased a Glock 22, although I haven't had a chance to take it out since I've aquired it. (I've fired it in the past.) I purchased it solely for protection from my drug addict brother, who feels that he was 'ripped off' because my mother didn't leave him what he thought he 'deserved' when she died, and I 'got everything'. (Aren't drugs wonderful?)

I've grown up around firearms also, as many members of my family had several, and at family gatherings at my grandfather's house, the trap shooter would come out, and everyone's trunk would open, exposing quite an arsenal. (Several family members were in law enforcement)

Glock's use of a trigger safety makes this weapon unsafe for an inexperienced user. Quite a few people have "Glocked" themselves with careless use. If it doesn't have a separate safety on the side of the frame, Don't buy it. Just my opinion. I have Springfields, Kimbers, Wilson Combat. and STI. 40's and 45's. Have had a concealed permit for 36 years.

Its better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

I will agree that a Glock is better suited fro a more experienced shooter. SEVERAL have had accidental discharges and several have "Glocked" aka, Shot themselves.

I do not want to make a promise I can not fulfill, but,,,, Every year we have the opportunity to buy our service weapon for $250 to $300 dollars. I have bought 6 thus far. My original is totally reworked in being kept for safe keeping. My second one is the one I use to practice with and I have my duty weapon I wear to work 5 days a week 2 to 4 flights a day.

My brother has one, dad another and younger brother the last one.

I will check to see when they are doing the sale this year and let you know what is available if there is such an opportunity.

There is no safety on the Sig either. But there is a 11 pound pull on the first shot. We have yet to this day had any other kind of an accidental discharge unless someone had their finger in the trigger.

There has been some glocks that have gone off when the weapon was dropped. I have seen three where the sheer has broke and allowed the hammer (firing pin in this case) to fall and allow a round to go.

Let me know if your think you are interested.

Here is the deal if so.

We shoot about 5000 rounds through our gun a year. They take it at 5000 rounds and TOTALLY re-work it back to new no matter what it needs. We use it again for a year, it then is re-worked and then available for sale to us.

So although it technically has 10,000 rounds thru it. It is only two years old and in like new condition. They replace every moving part including the barrel.

Latest posts