OT: Need help deciding... FWD or AWD vehicle.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Langel

Reaction score
Hey guys...

Well, I have found my next vehicle! It's a 2007 Volvo XC90, but the only issue I am having is whether to go FWD or AWD.

I pull a boat and do some minor off the pavement stuff.... but nothing like mudding...

I maybe living up north somewhere next year and I want something practical for snow and ice.

How does a FWD do in snow?

I may have answered all my questions myself, but I wanted to get a second opinion first..

BTW, it's a $1,800 option.

Thanks!

[Broken External Image]:

Caymen,

I would love to work in the Manasses, VA area.

Gavin,

Yeah, thats what I thought, but I was just wondering if AWD is all that it's hyped up to be...

It's a beautiful SUV...

My wife's Outback with AWD is GREAT. Other than a probable slight MPG penalty, I feel it is a much more robust system than part-time 4WD, especially for folks who don't always know how to use it. Modern systems with electronic controls and great engineering make AWD a wonderful thing!

If you have snow to deal with, pull a boat up slippery boat ramps, go off-road at all, I'd go with the AWD.

What is the mileage penalty for adding AWD in the Volvo?

You might also have a slight performance penalty too.

I agree with Gavin ... better to have it & not need it than need it and say " Oh *#^@ " ... It will also help in re-selling it should you decide to.

Very nice vehicle. I would go with AWD for the above reasons. Our other vehicle has AWD and it has never lost traction.

Josh, your in FL correct ???

If you get no snow, ice, or plan on not going off roading with it, I say get the FWD.

BUT the AWD is nice for the beach, boat ramps and rain slick roads.

Plus the AWD will increase the resale value of the truck..

Todd Z

Are you trading in your Tundra for it?

I have a gentleman looking at it right now. If I do not sell it, I will trade.

Josh, your in FL correct ???

Yes, but I hope to work out of state by the end of this year.

Thanks for the input guys! The XC90's are very nice.

Caymen,

Do you know if Ford xplan works on a Volvo (since they're owned by Ford)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure what the loss it..

Right now, if I go AWD off the lot, I have to get the 311HP V8 option, with a MPG of 15/20. :(

The 6 CYL is 17/22 w/out AWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh,

My father was hourly. The hourly X-Plan PIN is only good for Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln brands. If he was Salary, he could also get the rest of the plans.

Tom