OT: Kira the Airedale

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracN Jack

Reaction score
One of the reasons I have not been posting as much recently is..

We have been going to UC Davis (Probably the one of best vetranary schools in the U.S.)with Kira

Kira has been diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer, we do not have a fully diagnoses even after 6 months

First it was thought to be a (common in dogs) osteosarcoma, that was ruled out then they thought it was a Micobatirium, NOT cancer. The leg it was in still needed to be amputated and she did well.

Then the micobactirium was ruled out....Finally a patology report indicated that it was a carcinoma but it still could not be defined as too what type.

Kira was now running around the yard on three legs... no indication of cancer anyware in her body after a body scan

She started Chemo around her second Chemo we thought she had strained her remaining leg playing with jake.

The vets thought the same. a few weeks later she did not want to walk on the leg hardly at all and we had her re-xrayed again at her next Chemo appointment. Well that was last week and we were given the news that there were now lesions in the remaining rear legs and the chemo would no longer be benificial to her recovery.

Kira has come home with us and is resting comfortably during the day, getting spoiled when we can...

Soon she will have to cross the rainbow bridge...

I will keep everyone posted...

Our dog Peanut was diagnosed with inoperable cancer on his brain. My sister is here in vet school here at Auburn (another one of the best vet schools in the country) and met with the head of the oncology dept to discuss the options. Chemo would get him another 3 months. He's at home playing and living his life.

I'm sorry for your news.

He just turned five this Christmas.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack,

I am SO sorry to read about Kira. My heart goes out to you, bro. I went to the U.C.D. vet hospital for my old dog when he started having seizures. They are the best! I'm glad we got to meet her and Jake at the meet. Tell her that 'the boys' (Duke & Kozmo) send their best...

[Broken External Image]:

I'm so sorry for you and your family. We lost our beloved baby, Sheeta, almost 3 years ago to cancer. When they first told us, they gave her a matter of weeks. We took her home, spoiled her rotten and gave her all of the love that we could. She lasted almost another year. We still miss her everyday. She was 13 years old. This was her enjoying a treat after her last summer haircut.

[Broken External Image]:

jeez what a depressing post :(

my old guy, Gussy, is 14 and becoming more frail every week. he has constant seizures and a heart murmur.. Enjoy every day you are able to spend with your companion, you'll never forget them

Been through similar many times with several family members (dogs). It's never easy and losing a family member that never complains and just wants love will always suck.

enjoy her while you can, lost my boxer gracie to old age 3 yrs ago next month, still think of her alot, now have a new boxer pup named roxy, and she is the spitting image of gracie, and we call her gracie sometimes, because gracie meant so much to our family. time will heal, but never forget them

Thank you everyone!! and a big :wub:WOOF:wub: from Kira!

Our local vet has had us up some of the meds to reduce swelling in her leg. that is making her alot more comfortable and a little more mobile.

Still chowin down her food. And loving it when I sneak her a treat when jake is not in the room.

Jack

So sorry to hear your story, TracNJack. Love her as much as you can, for as long as you can. It doesn't sound like she could have a better home.

Kira crossed the rainbow bridge at 4:15pm today, prayers be with her on a safe voyage..:(

We feel your pain. Godspeed to you and your family. Kira is out playing with our Timmy and Sammy.

There are just not any words of comfort for the loss of such special family members, especially their loyalness, love and constant companionship. You will be reunited and it will be a joyous day! God be with you all.

Jack, very sorry to hear/read the news. She is in a better place and running around like a pup again! I'm sure she was ready, you know dogs do know, well really all animals do know when it's time. And they seem to want their owners to understand they are ok with it. I'm sure she thought that and loves you for understanding this.

((((HUGS)))) to you and your wife.