OT- Dirt bikes, 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
Which is better, 2 stroke or 4? I have a Honda XR250R, 4 stroke now. I'm thinking about getting another one. I don't race or anything, just like riding around the woods and mountains. Thanks for anyones input. :)

in my experience i love the sound and smell of a 2 stroke. it used to be that the 2 stroke had more torque but now the 4 strokes are giving them a run for their money. so nowadays trust your gut.

Not sure about dirt bikes, but for boat motors 2-strokes are generally easier to fix.

2 strokes are much faster for a given size, and easier to maintain. However, they are noisier, don't produce as much low end torque and are not as easy to ride when trail riding. For what you are describing, 4-stroke is only way to go. Also, many places are creating noise and pollution requirements which are not easily met with a 2-stroke.

I used to ride 2-stroke and at the time, they were the king of racing motocross and cross-country. I don't know if that's still the case, but for your needs a 4-stroke should be just fine.

depending on the riding....I ride/race a 2-stroke on the track. As for noise, both make enough of it, one can be heard for a longer distance (4 stroke) than the other (2 stroke). if you are looking for something easy to maintain and easy to start when you fall, I would go 2 stroke. I enjoy riding the 4 stroke but am hesitant to buy one for the fear of replacing the piston and rings when they go. It can be very costlyand time consuming as well as maintaining the valves.

You can get a KDX or an older RMX for the woods and put a spark arrestor on them to make them quiet. You should be able to get them at a reasonable price as well.

Good luck with your purchase.

marc

Last edited by a moderator:
4 stroke is the way to go. go find a 2 stroke trail bike they are few almost all trail bikes have been 4 stroke for a while now plenty of torque and easy to maintain change oil just like your car you don't need to replace the piston and ring like a 2 stroke

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go to the cycle shop and test ride both.

Latest posts