OT - Blackberry Storm

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
I'm considering getting the Blackberry storm when I upgrade my Verizon account in a few days/weeks. Does anyone have one, or know someone who does, and can offer any pros/cons.

If I don't get a Storm, I may go with a touchscreen phone like the Dare or Voyager.

Just looking for more personalized info, and not the stuff they are trained to tell you in the stores.

Thanks in advance.

I think it all depends on your preference: Windows Mobile or Blackberry. If you're using it for work, does your work have a Blackberry server? If not, then syncing your work e-mail, calender, etc. will be more of a challenge. Not impossible, but not as easy and seamless as if you get a Windows Mobile data phone.

I will not be using it for work. I want (note this is not a need) a phone that has the capabilities for web browsing and media usage - read: I want a phone like an iPhone, but do not want to leave Verizon for AT&T.

Blackberry also has a touchscreen model? Really. I missed that. J/k. I hear it is great. Thinking of getting it for my wife instead of a iPhone (AT&T coverage SUCKS in areas where her family lives...Verizon for our family).

I have the Blackberry Curve for my business phone. I couldn't live without it at this point.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, the Storm is the touchscreen model. I played with it a bit in the store, but 2 minutes of amazement doesn't justify the purchase just yet. I've heard that Blackberry phones can be addictive, so I know they are good, I just want to know if they hit the mark with this new innovative phone. Sometimes they take a good thing and make it worse by trying to fit it to the market trends.

I have the Storm. It is a great phone the touch screen is really neat. I have friends that have the iphone and I used theirs for little things (texting, movies, music). I prefer the Storm. Hope this helps.:cool:

Well, I've had a LG Voyager titanium since November, and have been pretty happy with it so far. One of my favorite features is VZ Navigator. It works very well, and my wife and I both have it on our Voyagers. Prior to getting the Voyager and VZ Navigator, I'd been looking at GPS units for the Trac. Now I don't have to. With this, I have GPS nav capability in any of my vehicles and also on foot.:cool:

A coworker has the Storm. She seems to like it. She did say that the tactile feedback feature of the touch screen took some getting used to--mostly when using the virtual QwERTY keyboard on the touch screen.

I considered the BB Storm, HTC, Omnia and then the LG Versa can out.

I opted for the LG Versa for myself & my girlfriend both.

We both have had the Voyager since the day it came out (about a year and a half ago) and, although it was one-of-a-kind and advanced when it came out, it is a little bulky and sluggish compared to the newer touchscreen phones. Don't get me wrong, we loved our phones and thats why we went with what I like to call a Voyager 2. A couple of items the Voyager lacked were: Flash on the browser, an accelerometer, thread messaging, camera flash, the phone is limited on customizing options, multi-tasking, etc. The Versa has all of these and then some, not to forget the three customizable homescreens. A couple of big problems we had with the Voyager involved the software/firmware. We purchased the phones with firmware version 3, upgraded to 5, then 7, then 9 and finally 11. It is rare that a cell phone will have so many firmware upgrades in just over a year, so it was kind of nice to gain new features for free with the same original investment. The Voyager now resets for no apparent reason, freezes up & the scrolling is no longer smooth, but clunky or choppy. The symptoms that developed with the firmware upgrades made it an easy decision to upgrade to the Versa. BTW, the rumor is that an actual Voyager 2 is set to launch in the last quarter of 2009 (Ill definitely be checking into it). I dont own my own business, Im not in real-estate, and I cant justify the extra cost of a smart phone just to be notified when I have new email & sync with my calendar. The Voyager and Versa are what I like to call Fun Phones instead of Smart Phones. According to the forums and several Verizon Reps, the Versa has the single most responsive touchscreen and the single best/fastest html browser of all Verizon phones. Even though I have gotten used to using the keypad on the Voyager, I find myself rarely using it on my Versa. I have a 16GB micro SD card in my Versa, the music player is greatly improved and best of all, the multi-tasking option allows you to simultaneously listen to music and completely browse through your phone without interruption. I'm currently working on reformatting some of my DVDs to play on the phone. I have about 6 movies as of now which use about 4GB.

I will not be using it for work. I want (note this is not a need) a phone that has the capabilities for web browsing and media usage - read: I want a phone like an iPhone, but do not want to leave Verizon for AT&T.

Thats exactly where I'm coming from.

Just my 2 cents,

Good luck!

Edit: I've been with Verizon since they were GTE in 1998. I love their service, plans, (now) their phones, features, etc. The best thing is, if you don't like Verizon or even just the phone, you can cancel your contract or trade phones within 30 days with no obligation!

My wide bought the Storm and I have used it a bit and I do not like it. I have a Blackberry Pearl so I am used to blackberry's. I did not like the touch screen, you can get used to it i guess but it is unlike any other touch screen, not only do you have to touch the screen but you have to actually push in the screen to select something. I did love the wide screen but browsing and typing were a pain. Maybe if it came with a stylus it would be better but then that takes away from the fast typing also. If you are looking for a lot of personal reviews go to www.crackberry.com

IMHO get a omnia. Best phone I have ever had. But if you need it for business purposes get the storm.

But the omnia is more for more technical people, I have heavliy modded mine, and it can do more than a blackberry.

Thank you all for the help.

JustKevin - I actually was looking at the Versa too. How do you like the web display on it? I'd prefer to get a phone that has a web view that is true to life and not optimized to fit the phone (e.g. look exactly the same as if I were to pull a site up on my computer). Also, it's good to know I can change my contract within 30 days, that might help with the decision too....

MD Rob - I have read that some of the features of SureTouch are considered a hindrance to those who are used to using previous blackberry phones. Blackberry users are comfortable with the quick key sequencing and multiple key simultaneous input, whereas with the storm you can only input one letter at a time. Since I have never owned a blackberry, nor a phone with a QWERTY keyboard for that matter, and have no prior habits to break I don't see it as being a pain point for me (but I admit I could be wrong).

Scott - I looked at the Omnia actually and had in my mind chosen it over the Storm. However, in going to the store to play with it, I became very bothered by the size of the keys on the virtual keyboards with the various programs. You really must have a stylus tethered to the phone IMO to be quick and productive. I didn't see it as a "thumbs" only phone.

In my opinion there is nothing out there that truly compares to the iPhone. I have Verizon and now have a Dare. I really like it. But the iPhone has so many more cool toys and the interface is incredible. I hope Verizon can get the iPhone eventually.

hmmmm I wonder what was up with the setup on the demo phone at the Verizon store. Seriously, the keyboard displayed on the screen was tiny and I found myself constantly typing in the wrong letter/symbol. I go so frustrated that I walked away. That's when the associate too me to the Storm, to which comparatively the keys are much larger. I would hope/assume that the keyboard size is something that could be customized?

And yes, I did turn the phone horizontal to widen the view.

One thing I liked a lot about the Omnia was it's web browser. I will give that two thumbs up for sure.

prm - Apple first game to Verizon with the iPhone and Verizon turned them down...

Sigh..... hindsight is a b*&#%

I got a Voyager and hated it! I took it back after a week. I ended up with a Chocolate, I like it much better. I'm old school and do not like the touch screens or keyboard ones. I have the Navigation and Internet on this phone and I love it. It takes great pictures, when you email them they are LARGE pictures. I have all my email addresses setup on this phone and it works for me. Everyone has their preference for what ever reasons, these are mine. I hope you end up with a phone you really like. BTW...they tell you that if you don't like it you can return within 15 days, they charge a $35.00 restocking fee that they don't tell you about until you return it.

Since Verizon bought out Alltel, it makes it a lot easier to call family, everyone in my family is set up with Alltel (free minutes, texts and pic sending).

Rose you have excellent taste. :D I currently have a second generation Chocolate (Cherry Chocolate) and while I really like it as a phone, I'm ready to move on to more features. I am definitely keeping it though as a back-up in case something happens.

And thanks for the info on the Voyager!

Latest posts