OT - Blackberry Storm

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you like the web display on it? I'd prefer to get a phone that has a web view that is true to life and not optimized to fit the phone (e.g. look exactly the same as if I were to pull a site up on my computer).

I use the browser all throughout the day and on a daily basis . . . . I am on the browser more than I use all of the other features combined. I can tell you with confidence that the browser is truly, IMO of course, 99%+ just like the browser on your computer. You can't download attachments, photos, etc. with the phones current software. Although, if you find something you want to download, you have the option to easily send the link of the site from your phone to your personal email and revisit it on your home computer. There is a thumbnail view you can have on, off or automatic. Also, if you press the "Camera" button on the side, it does a quick zoom-to-width view which I find very useful.

The reasons it is not 100% like the computer is:

- Some sites see that it is a mobile browser, so it will automatically give you a mobile version of their site.

- Some videos are just too memory intensive and will not play.

- (This is the only site I have found like this, but . . .) mysporttrac.com is navigable , but for some reason I have to scroll over to see the side bar and slide the sidebar down to scroll through the page.

Coming from using the browser on the Voyager, this is a great improvement. Especially since some sites view better vertically, others view better horizontally and the accelerometer auto adjusts for you.

As a matter of fact, I created a custom homepage for my Voyager full of mobile versions of websites I frequently visit and I am now in the process of replacing all of the links with the regular website links.

Ive never owned the Dare, always envied its functionality and interface, but didnt want to give up my keyboard. (Funny thing is that I rarely use the keyboard on the Versa)

I read somewhere that the Versa is like the Voyager and the Dare had a baby and it kept all the best features of both.

Most who have the Voyager love it & most who have the dare love it.

I figured I couldnt go wrong.

mysporttrac.com is navigable , but for some reason I have to scroll over to see the side bar and slide the sidebar down to scroll through the page.

That's actually quite funny....

mysporttrac.com was the site I chose to bring up on the demo phone that sort of turned me off (tough to navigate as you said). I guess I should have tried other sites too..... :D

Not my thoughts, but I just ran into this post on another forum that I frequent.

It's extremely buggy.

-No screen lock while in a call, so hope you dont lean on the screen or you'll be changing functions while in a call.

-Phone dialing keypad never wants to come up. If you have numbers programmed in the speed dial it's not a problem if not good luck making a call with no number dialing pad.

-Constant waiting on the built in accelerometer to decide which way is up.

-Screen problems, seems it never kows how much of the screen to display. 1/4 of the screen will be in landscape while the rest is in portrait mode.

-While typing an e-mail or a text message the keyboard gets WAY behind. Hey I can really tap type fast.....

-The Storm decides to update something while in a call, it just drops the call and does something while you watch the hourglass go round and round.

I literally have more hours with Tech Support than I do on the phone.

I'm done with it, not interested in downloading any other fix, or another new one or any other phone Verizon has to offer.

When I bought the Storm it was between the iPhone and the Storm. The Storm won out because of the reliability of Verizons network. Since then the A T & T network has greatly improved.

I don't have time to watchdog a PDA all day when trying to grow my business while out on the road.

At this point I'm just going to switch and try the iPhone for 30 days and keep the Storm at home. After 25 day's I'll decide which one I'll keep. Then sell whatever one I don't want on Craigslist.

If you want to read the whole post, others have similar experiences it seems..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done even more research and discovered that the main flaw I found in the Omnia (which is why I was looking at the storm) is something that can be "fixed" with a change of a few preferences. So, I've decided to go with the Omnia. I will be going sometime in the next week to upgrade.

Scott and Project_Sparta, I may be in contact at some point in the near future, if that's okay, and ask questions.

Again, thank you to everyone for your input.

Latest posts