OT: Best Baseball Manager Ever!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that the other day..

I am guessing he was in the military as the grenade throw was pretty darn accurate... LOL

Not, the guy has set the worst example and needs to be fired on the spot. His mother even condones his behavior which is absolutely disgusting.

I feel he was acting like a spoiled little boy, and it would have added to the "showbiz" if someone would have come out and acted like they were spanking him.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh that was great, what a show ! adam, your right, the grenade move is new to me , nice shot and notice how close it landed to the ump

Professional sports is all showbiz anyway. He's just doing his part.

He probably should be medicated though. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodger, you're absolutely right. Fire him on the spot.

However, I wish the video showed what had led up to his performance. Were there call(s) being made that were truly so atrocious? If so, the umpires should also be given the boot. Way too often, in situations like this, the manager/player/reactor is punished, but the umpire whose incompetence led to the situation is let off scott free, simply because they're "the ump". And that's unacceptable. You need to accept the umpires' calls when you're in the game, but after the game, umpires need to be held to a higher standard than what is currently allowed.

Fire him...for what? Entertaining millions of fans. It was so incredibly creative what he did. He put on a show. What's the difference between what he did and what Lou Pinelli did the other day and has been doing for years. Kicking dirt, throwing bases, yelling and screaming inches away from the umps. Just like fighting in hockey...these manager rants and raves are a part of baseball.

I do agree with Bill that the umps should be held accountable for their calls. We're in a pay for performance society and they don't perform...they should be suspended, fired or penalized for poor performance.

aren't Pro Umpires under a scoring system and their calls are scored against the computer ???

Todd Z

hefhay--OK, maybe not fire him. But a lengthy suspension is in order. For both this guy, and Pinella. (Your attempt to justify this guys actions by comparing them to Pinella were interesting, seeing that Pinella was suspended for the actions you try to justify.)

Obviously you're not involved in youth baseball--or in youth hockey. Otherwise you'd know that when players and parents at these levels see people respond like this guy and Pinella, or start fights in hockey, they think that this justifies them doing it at the lower level as well. This is why, in most states, if you argue with an ump and get ejected, if you refuse to leave the facility you can be arrested, even if you don't physically fight or even say another word. Things are just too likely to spiral out of control like this lunatic.

Bill V, the biggest problem in youth sports, heck the biggest problem with youths today isn't the people on the field, its those that are off...it's the parents...

Here are some vids of parents behaving badly:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kMgGLcQk-gE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kMgGLcQk-gE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ul73zahKBbM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ul73zahKBbM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MpodYOgNhbU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MpodYOgNhbU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

TJR, I can't view the video, but I agree with your statement about the parents. But that doesn't change the fact that these coaches and players at the higher levels are setting a poor example.

Bill V - a suspension is definitely in order for this manager (and that's what he got). At this time, I am not currently involved in youth sports. I have been in the past and will be again this fall. I am an athlete myself in my early 30's. I've witnessed drunk parents at the field. I've witnessed sober parents that yell and scream at players (not just their own kids). We've managed to survive seeing this behavior and as an adult now, understanding what is right and wrong. Seeing this on TV should not justify these actions to occur at the youth level. If you don't want to subject your child or team to this...don't take them. I have seen tons of rational individuals acting irrationally when competiting at all levels (i.e. Todd Bertuzzi (sucker punch), Roberto Alomar (spitting on ref), Mike Tyson (anything this guy does these days; he's epitomizes being a lunatic). People need to understand that people are unpredictable. Things like this are going to happen. That's why, for me, I'm not going to shelter my kids from this but teach them right from wrong. Because I won't always be there for them when they see things like this happening.

I agree with the rules. In youth sports...if you argue excessively, you should be gone. In HS sports, more leniency but once you get to collegiate, semi or professional levels...I think it should be fair game.

Just my opinions on this.

If you don't want to subject your child or team to this...don't take them.

I disagree. This is a reason to not take a kid to an R-rated movie, or a performance by a known-to-be foul-mouthed comedian. But not a baseball game.

Instead, this is a reason to make sure that on the occasions that this happens, the league responds quickly and harshly, to make it clear that such behavior will not be tolerated. That keeps the occurances down, and solidifies the ability to teach others that such actions have serious consequences.

I hadn't seen or heard about this outburst prior to it appearing here--but if, as George C says, this is a MLB-affiliated league, I'm confident that they'll respond appropriately. Unlike what many of the posters here would do.

I'm not seeing anything different than what I saw thirty five years ago as a kid playing organized sports.

There were plenty of big league brawls and managerial antics. We had knucklehead parents on the sidelines, and every once in a while, some situation would get out of hand.

The difference today? 24x7 news media would have you believe that people, after thousands of years of civilization, have somehow, suddenly become rude, inconsiderate, and sometimes outright evil, just this past week.

The problem is you either have parents living vicariously through their kids or they never played sports and really do not know how to "act" at a sporting event (know the unwritten rules of the games, what's good/what's bad, rules, etiquette, etc).

All parents should partake in some kind of athletic event to allow them the rush of competing (notice I did not say winning). You have to know how to win AND how to lose with grace and dignity.

Now have the kids as spectators at their parents athletic event and I wonder how these parents would react if they heard their kids yelling the same kind of stuff they do at the kid's games.

As far as this guy goes - it was funny as hell and I did expect him to get suspended. Oddly the suspension, I believe, came from the Braves themselves who have ornery Bobby Cox at the helm who has been tossed 130 times. He's just a plain jackass who gets tossed way too much for no reason. (and has also been known to open a can of whoop-ass on his wife as well). I tend to enjoy the cerebral arguments that Joe Torre offers.

Bill V - I agree that the league needs to discipline and do it quickly. As Travis mentioned...he has been suspended (by the Braves - 3 games). He pushed the limit with his antics and will pay the price. My references to Bertuzzi and Tyson was to say (I know it's stretching it with Tyson) but they act rationally most of the time. Bertuzzi (95% of the time); Tyson...maybe 50% (and that's being generous). And like Rich said...the media blows this stuff out of proportion. There wouldn't even have been story on this 25-30 years ago.

A baseball game at any level should be family friendly but you know (and this incident is proof of that) that you're not always going to see what you want your kids to see. He put on a show that I would think most people find entertaining.

Welcome to the world of over-exposure, over-reacting and over-sensitivity. People need thicker skin.