Order Deposit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P M

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with canceling an order with a dealer and getting a deposit back? Left a message with my POC at the dealer and I'll be talking with them tomorrow. I'm thinking they won't want to return the deposit. Here's the quick background; first order for an '07 ST placed in July, it arrived but was not what I ordered (no power rear window). Second order placed Sept, was later told it would be built in early November. As of today no VIN has been assigned. Fortunately it was "only" $500 vice the $1k they originally wanted. There comes a point when I can't see buying a vehicle from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. At the time I placed the order I could not imagine a scenario where I would not purchase a vehicle. I now know better and will include agreements as you mentioned in the future because you can never be absolutely sure.

I have always been told that the deposit is refundable. (Like SST I always get that written down to be sure)

My mom took a dealer to court and got the $500.00 back.... It was to locate the car she wanted from another dealers stock, but she found it in a dealer right by the house while the other dealer said there were none in NY...

Todd Z

I'm hoping this won't be an issue. Should hear back from the dealer today. But, I want to be prepared if it becomes one. I did not purchase the first one because it had the wrong options, and now I'm tired of waiting and getting the run around.

If it's any consolation, I placed my order back on 9/14. It's taken till just untill last week to get a VIN assigned. I know it's a long wait and seems like the runaround, especially when I saw other orders placed after mine getting more priority.

BTW this week the final straw for me, if my VIN hadn't been assigned by now, I was going to cancel as well. And my dealer did say the deposit was refundable.

I ordered a 2007 ST from a dealer, gave him a $500.00 deposit, and then found out a month later they still had not submitted the order. I called the dealer sales manager and demanded my money back. He cut me a check the same day but was a jerk about it. When I went to pick up the check, they sent a secretary to the lobby to give it to me. She just handed it to me and walked away without a word spoken. The next dealer I ordered my ST from said they don't make anybody put down a deposit to place an order. Got my ST and I'm a happy camper. Still nice to know there are places where a man's word is his bond.

I was in the new Toyota Dealership in Bellevue, WA. The show room only had one vehicle on the floor. I was suprised, not by that, but by the 25 sales desks on the floor and every one had a customer dealing with a sales person. No one bothered us which I like.

Went to the Ford dealer and it was a ghost town. 6 sales guys hanging near the door smoking waiting for a walk up. Nothing more piss me off when I have to walk through a cloud of 2nd hand smoke with a bunch sales guys with there heads up their ass cracking jokes. And, cussing up a storm where customers enter the building.

Doesn't sound like getting the deposit back is going to be an issue. That's good news.

So, SST, what interesting things did you find at the Toyota dealership? Those FJs are way cool! Kinda goofy looking, but definite appeal. My daughter calls them Jetson's Jeeps.

I ordered mine without a deposit, but got mine directly from the ordering person and watched her submit it. That's the benefit of going to a small dealership I guess. Due to some freak deal, I ended up getting mine set to priority 1 and had a VIN/build date the next day (and it was built on time, delivered 4 days early).

If you are willing to deal with the dealership down here, let me know and I'll get your info to them :)