old radio help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Munday

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here could help me: I jsut picked up a radio from a '65 Falcon, but it isn't workign properly. The tuning button doesn't move the front dial, and the dial doesn't move when a prset button is pressed.

I've taken it somewhat apart and I can't see anything broke or missing, but then again I've no idea what I'm looking for or at. Any ideas as to what to look for? Even if I can't get the radio to work, that's OK, it'd be for looks mainly anyhow and it only cost me <$7.

I believe there is a string that goes from the buttons to the dial or vice versa. Check to see if you can see that.

As far as the dial not moving, It may be corroded..

Todd Z

I agree with Todd..the string may be broken or sliping. They are a PITA to repair and get the string on...

Use to fix dial strings all the time back in the day. If it has one, and it's not broken and you can get to it, try some bee's wax on it to make it grip. If it's there and broken, there are repair and re-string manuals to check. We use to use a manual made by " SAMS". Don't know if they are still being printed but if you can find an old repair shop the owner might just have what you want as far as a SAMS book. Gary D. in CT

I'm not seeing a string, or even where one might go. I looked up a few places online, but couldn't find any sort of reference material that wasn't trying to sell you a service or product. I tore the radio apart and still couldn't see what was wrong. I'm thinking, hoping, that it is an electronic radio that only works with power applied...I'll wire it up tomorrow and check on that.

I'll try to take a few, but I'd have to tear the radi oback apart and to get some good ones.

But, like I say, I'm not too worried about getting it to work fully, as it'd for looks mostly.

Actually a lot of old OEM radios did not use string at all. They use a worm gear on the end of the tuning shaft to move ferrite material in and out of prewoud coils. Look on the end of the tuning shaft for a worm gear. It may be slipping. A clutch is incorporated in this gear as to not strip anything out if you keep turning. The clutch may be slipping.

Try contacting Classic Auto Parts in Oklahoma City. They may not only have a repair manual, but may also have a working radio you can buy. They have some awesome stuff there.

We visited this place during the OKC meet last year. They have a really sweet Shelby Cobra I'd like to buy from them.