Oil residue on outside of throttle body

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyates

Reaction score
So today I noticed something I think is a bit unusual on my '05 Trac with 99k miles. On the outside of the throttle body, next to the TPS, there is oil residue. The residue is basically on the TPS and around the lower bolt for the throttle body. Residue was damp, but not wet, and was definitely oil. I cleaned this residue off and I was able to tighten that 1 throttle body bolt a little more (the other 3 bolts are good and tight). I have no other indicators of any oil issues anywhere else. PCV valve was replaced about 6 months ago, and no sign of oil leakage at it. Also, the famous pcv elbow has been replaced. Has anyone else seen this before on your 'Trac? I pulled the throttle body off a few years ago to thoroughly clean it, and I looked at it today and it is still nice and clean on the inside, with no signs of oil reside. Any thoughts? I am not a mechanic, but I am not afraid to open the hood either...

Yes sir, I see this a lot on the "core" tbs I get back. On the older tracs its way worse !!

Todd Z

Clean or replace your IAC valve.

Hows your tune up? filters?

Todd Z

Todd,

IAC is clean. I am right at 100k, so it is time for a tune-up. MAF is clean. Throttle body clean on inside, including the throttle plate. Coolant temp sensor is new. Had a smoke test done and no leaks detected anywhere. Is an idle of 650 in drive gear in cold weather normal for the 'Trac? My wife's '04 Explorer with 4.0 idles dead on 750 regardless of temps.

You cant compare the trucks, But Its tune up time. Get it done.

Todd Z

Todd,

Got it tuned up over the weekend. Have not driven it much since but it is definitely idling smother. I notice on the tach, and can hear it, that at times it is still hunting for correct idle a little, but it is staying right @750 now. Weather is warm here today, but will be colder by Wednesday, so we shall see if cold weather idle is now more stable.

Well I now know what the oily residue on the throttle body is. I have noticed it getting worse and in more places, and also more obvious of the source. Power steering pump is leaking. Sigh...