Oil Pressure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydawg74

Reaction score
Brrrrrr It's COLD up here in N.E. Ohio! SOOOO cold, that when i start my 01' ST, the oil pressure gauge doesn't move and the "check gauge" light comes on. After i get going down the road a little, the gauge comes up to it's normal position. Has anyone else encountered this problem? It has me a little worried that my oil pump is maybe going out. I'm due for an oil change, so maybe it's a little sludgy? Or, is it just because it's so cold that the gauge is sticking. No other gauges are sticking. Your thoughts?

Oil level OK? Does the engine rattle while the guage shows no pressure? What weight il do you have in it?

I am not experiencing what you are. I live in Akron also, so I know how cold it has been.

Tom

yeah, the level is okay. I'm pretty sure the gauge is just sticking. I just tapped on the plexiglass cover in front of the gauge and it came right up. I'm using Castrol GTX high mileage 5w-30.

Chances are that you just have a defective oil pressure sending unit. You could just buy one and put it on but if it were me I would check the oil pressure with a mechanicial gauge after it has sat overnight just to be on the safe side.

The OEM switch has been modified (replaced) by Ford. The early switched were defective and the light would stay on for a bit and scare the crap out of you.

As mentioned, the switch (sending unit) is behind the power steering pump.

The sticking oil pressure sending unit was a common problem with the early 2001 Sport Tracs. I had the same problem with my 2001 Job-1 Sport Trac a few months after I bought it new back in 2000.

Also, be aware that the guage is not really a guage but an analog idiot light. When you start the engine, and the sending unit detects 8 psi or more oil pressure the gauge jumps to the middle of the normal operating range. If it detects less than 8 psi, the gauge will not display any oil pressure and you will get a "Check Gauge" light. A true oil pressure gauge would fluctuate with higher pressure when the engine rpm was increased and drop when the engine speed was reduced. The Sport Trac guage does not do that.

It is very common for the sending unit to stick when the weather gets cold. I had my sending unit replaced under warranty, but once you know that is the problem it's not as scary. If you want to save your money you could install a true oil pressure gauge and just leave the old one alone since it will tend to stick only on cold mornings, and the real oil pressure gauge will give a true oil pressure reading.

...Rich

I'm having the same problem with my 2002, for the past month or so.

Check engine light comes on and stays on for about a full minute (and oil gauge hasn't moved) then the oil gauge jumps up to norm and light goes out.

Apparently I also am having an oil pressure switch issue, do you think?

Thanks,

Bob

PlymBob'02,

Yes, your Trac is displaying the exact same symptoms that many of the early 2001-2002 Sport Trac that had the oil pressure sending switch problem. It was so problematic that that Ford came out with a replacement switch, but even then, some dealers still may have the old one in stock. I be sure to ask if you are getting the newest version if you decide to replace it.

...Rich

Ford says, save money run a wire instead of a pressure line. When I was in Holland last year a relative bought a new Suzuki, and I said talk about saving a few pennys, it only had a back up light in one of the rear tail lights :banghead: :btddhorse: .

Dave :yawn:

it only had a back up light in one of the rear tail lights

So does the Scion XB.

Someday I'll get a real gauge on mine, and hopefully I'll never have this problem with my 2002. It irks me that I have all these gauges, yet I'm basically driving my gauge-less Buick LeSabre still as the gauges are nothing but idiot lights.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts