Oil Preasure gauge ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian brown 3

Reaction score
When Looking at my oil preasure gauge on the dash, 2004 STA, the gauge stays in the middle of the range.

Is it an OIL Preasure gauge or Oil LEVEL gauge?

Thanks!

No it's an oil pressure gauge...actually more of a visual idiot light than anything. They don't move around much for a reason...people were complaining that the gauge was fluctuating..so Ford made it so that the gauge doesn't move much, if any at all, unless oil pressure drops really low.

Mine never moves. JUMPS to the middle when started, and stays there. I think the sending unit is literally just a switch, not a vairiable potentiometer. I wish tere was a way to change it so that it was an actual gauge. I would rather see fluctuation and have time to stop before it dropped completely off.

The Sport Trac oil pressure gauge is just a form of idiot light....it's either on or it's off and does not measure pressure

When you start the engine and oil pressure exceeds about 8 psi, the gauge is turned on and jumps to the middle of the operating range. The gauge is not analog as it does not move as the engine speed increases or decreases (as does the oil pressure) like a conventional oil pressure gauge would do.

In my opinion, calling that thing an oil pressure gauge is a fraud !!

...Rich

I have see projects to convert it. You need to open up the dash and solder a resistor to the gauge and then replace the oil pressure switch with a oil pressure sender.

Tony,

that would be cool, if. The dash gauge was marked with numbers. So you would still be blind, somewhat.

Thanks.. now I know. makes me wonder WTF was Ford thinking... people complaining their Oil preasure gauge was moving? glad people don't complain about the Tach or the speedometer moving! ... "Oh your rolling, must be going 35 MPH" just leave it on 35...duh

I agree, 'bad move on Fords part