Oil Leaking AC hose

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas Sporty

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I have developed a small seepage of oil on the AC hose coming off the back of the compressor. (part # YF3660). I know the AC system has oil for the pump however my question is if I remove this hose off the back of the compressor will the system oil run out of the back of the pump if the pump is not removed from mounting bracket? Is there a reservoir inside on the back of pump that will prevent all the oil running out as long as compressor isn't tilted back. I know once I install the new hose I'll need to vac the system out and recharge. Any one have prior experience with this?

If you’re not familiar with ac systems, I highly suggest you take it to someone who is. I’ve seen TOO many ac systems with “repairs” performed by inexperienced owners that end up with more issues. I don’t mean to sound rude… but it’ll honestly save you time and money in the long run.

Yes you’ll loose some oil. Does it matter? No. But that’s only part of the big picture.

As of now the system is working fine so i'm not seeing any major problems. Just wanted to replace this hose before summer comes. If the compressor oil won't run out the back after removing the compressor manifold connector I'm not seeing a major issue according to my mechanical skill. Thanks

Need to evacuate the refrigerant and refill properly... you may loose a little oil but big deal, You can just add new.

Finished AC high side hose leak project. What a bear.... Once I got the hose I delivered and I was looking at it on the ground the panic began to set in. This is not going to be an easy task getting this curved, bent hose down around the engine across and over to the other side to accumulator area. If anyone is going to do this I'd suggest take your time and don't expect to stay calm if you're in hurry. I spend I'd estimate 4 days with the r/r hose replacement a few hours a day. Also removing the compressor, and PS reservoir. I decided to replace the accumulator and the oriface tube. And all the o-rings I could find. Unfortunately the OEM ford hose didn't come with manifold o-rings for the back of compressor so had to order separately. That was interesting because found them on amazon and thought I was ordering 6 I only got one. So ordered another one off eBay. Bought gauges and pump off Amazon so after some Youtube education everything was ready. Vacuumed down to 30psi and left overnight. Everything held steady and next morning I vacuumed system for another 3 hours. Put in new R-134 and it's cold as the day I bought the truck. My only advice it to take your time and it wasn't to complicated. Sorry no pictures but plenty of videos on Youtube that helped me. Oh as a side point I did remover the accumulator and drilled out the bottom and drained out the oil and replaced the approximate volume back. Looking forward to 100F plus days soon to be here in Vegas.

Thanks for sharing, your insight into Amazon is helpful too. On my list also.
Thanks

Finished AC high side hose leak project. What a bear.... Once I got the hose I delivered and I was looking at it on the ground the panic began to set in. This is not going to be an easy task getting this curved, bent hose down around the engine across and over to the other side to accumulator area. If anyone is going to do this I'd suggest take your time and don't expect to stay calm if you're in hurry. I spend I'd estimate 4 days with the r/r hose replacement a few hours a day. Also removing the compressor, and PS reservoir. I decided to replace the accumulator and the oriface tube. And all the o-rings I could find. Unfortunately the OEM ford hose didn't come with manifold o-rings for the back of compressor so had to order separately. That was interesting because found them on amazon and thought I was ordering 6 I only got one. So ordered another one off eBay. Bought gauges and pump off Amazon so after some Youtube education everything was ready. Vacuumed down to 30psi and left overnight. Everything held steady and next morning I vacuumed system for another 3 hours. Put in new R-134 and it's cold as the day I bought the truck. My only advice it to take your time and it wasn't to complicated. Sorry no pictures but plenty of videos on Youtube that helped me. Oh as a side point I did remover the accumulator and drilled out the bottom and drained out the oil and replaced the approximate volume back. Looking forward to 100F plus days soon to be here in Vegas.
Should have rented the gauges and pump from autozone. Getting ready to do my condenser

Yes they are available at several places out here but would rather have equipment on hand for future if I get the itch at 3 am in the morning to begin another project. My Sport Trac is a 2001 so I like having tools on hand. Only cost me around a hundred on Amazon. My truck isn't a daily driver so I took my time and learned as I went project. Thanks.

Latest posts