Off topic - Electric Meter Board

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Geist

Reaction score
My electric company (PECO in PA) comes out the other day and says I have a corrosive electric meter board that needs to be replaced. I think I have heard that it is my responsibility to get a certified electician to install a new one. Anyone know anything about this? How much do you think it would cost? Do they have different sizes or wattage capacities?

In my town, it is the electric company that is responsible for the meter and anytingon it..my responsibility is the breaker box and house wiring..

In NY the Home owner is responsible ( overhead wires) from the weather boot on the roof into the house.. This includes the meter pan, wiring, and pipe..

Under ground From the meter pan in... The electric company supplies the METER only and wire to the roof of your house or out of the ground....

In NY you would be replacing it on your dime...

I do know it is about 200 bucks for a new meter pan plus install...

Todd Z

With duke power I am responsable for from the meter base on in is mine. from the meater box on up to werather head and on out is theirs. Unless it is a new home or a change in location of service drop location to the house then I am responsable for the weather head as well. If you have to redo the base you might want to consider paying the extra and go to underground service if you dont have yet.

PECO sucks. We have PP&L for our electric in the Philly burbs. PP&L would never pull that crap with me. The meter and everything in it is THEIR EQUIPMENT; that's why it is locked and you can't open it.

Google: PA Electric Choice

You may find some links and you MAY be able to chose a different company.

TJR

TJR - no other choice other than PECO according to that site.

PECO had come out and the person wrote, "Your electric meter board is a separate issue but if not repaired it will cause you numerous problems down the road and is customer property, PECO only responsible for meter itself".

Normally, I wouldn't care but we've had some power flickers occuring ever since they came out at certain areas within our house.

My old house in NY had power flickers.

Turns out the main line to the house from the pole has a splice in it; where two dissimilar metals meet. And, after a couple of decades that splice often corrodes and when windy and the line shakes causes a disruption in contact, thus the flicker.

That was my experience.

Our new house in PA is all underground utilities.

I am just saying, it may not be your box.

TJR

Flickers are normally caused by a dirty, lose, or corroded neutral clamp.....

The meter pan is a sealed cabinet and should not corrode...

Todd Z