OEM Pioneer trubs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
03 ST w/Pioneer 6-disc system. Suddenly won't eject CD's anymore and gives me a CD error readout (of course won't play them now either). Anyone know if this is a simple or costly repair (if so, am looking at possible replacement with Pioneer FH-P800BT). If I go with the latter - is it just a simple swap-out with the present amps/speakers ,etc.?

if you have used stick on lables on the cd's, one may have peeled back abit and stuck, the oem player doesn't like the stickers. do a search and can find several threads about this, can try a credit card to pop the cd out, but its possible it won't come out. if you can't get them out, then its a somewhat costly repair, usually just replace the cd unit but its still $100 or more.

There are two fuses for that head unit. Pull both and power it down for a few minutes. then replace the fuses and power it backup. I have read on here that sometimes a reboot of this unit will cure the problem. As jimp said, if any of your disc had stick on labels, it is jamed..

I have the same model year with same Pioneer Audiophile head unit. I have battled with the CD player since the day I bought the truck 3 months ago. The player read empty on the day I bought it and I started loading up 6 CDs. I got the disc error after trying to load the 5th and nothing would play. So I kept trying to poke the 5th in and two discs from the previous owner popped out. I then managed to get 6 discs in and all was well for a few weeks until I wanted to swap in some different CDs. I managed to eject one before the player gave the CD error. I could not coax the player to work for a week after that. I found a similar head unit on E bay (standard Explorer changer) and was ready to try to swap them. Then I drove the truck on a nice hot day and a random disc ejected from the CD player and the player started working again. After a few more inserts and ejects I have reached detente with the player. It seems to work fine with 4-5 discs loaded. It currently shows 4 discs as loaded and there is at least one more loaded that is not registering. As long as I eject a disc before putting a new one in I think I am fine. So essentially I have a 4 disc changer. This is one of the best sounding stereos I have had in a truck so I am happy to have at least the 4 disc capabllity.

None of the CDs used had labels. I learned that lesson in a previous car. You leave home labeled CDs in a changer in a car that sits out in a damp NW winter and the lables wrinkle and cause all sorts of problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem several times with my 6 disc player. It usually started working again after disconnecting power to it. But I finally got tired of it and put in an aftermarket setup instead, and use my ipod in lieu of cd's.

I've tried a search and found almost nothing on the forum (maybe I'm using the wrong key words - any suggestions?). The replies indicate this is another one of those quirks we FEST lovers seem to have to put up with (along with the "tilt-wheel/turn signal" syndrome, etc.). I've never used adhesive labels either (however the previous owner may have?). This problem cropped up before with one particular disc slot and I also reached "detente" as it began working again - at least until I tried to swap out discs again. I'll try the fuse/reboot method before considering the drastic aftermarket replacement solution. I've had little success with these as they always end up having 3x the features I need and seem to be 10x more unintuitive to operate (tiny on/off buttons and obscure placement of other often-used controls. I would like to hear more from anyone who has replaced their units with the above-mentioned Pioneer FH-P800 and if it's a simple swap-out that will work with existing cabling/amplification, etc. Thanks for the replies.

Gerry

Mine does it from time to time. I use the cap of a bic biro pen to "help" the cd's out. The stick part of the pen cap is soft enough not to scratch the cd's. I tap on the edges or slid it on the top of the cd as it is trying to eject and put a little downward pressure on the cd to help it engage the rollers. I think the rollers are just getting hard from the AZ heat here. This is just what I've done. Not suggesting it.

Since I've installed an IPOD adapter to the back of the unit, I play my IPOD on the "DJ" mode and rarely put CD's in any longer.

Funny thing, I also discovered that the head unit has the RDS. I guess I just ignored the button on the face until now, and I've had my ST since 2001.

Latest posts