OEM Hard Tonneau Repair Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy Sabo

Reaction score
I am looking for information on repairing a OEM hard Tonneau. The rubber seal over the hinge looks like it is starting to dry rot, according to the pic it looks like I need part 00072C.

Has anyone ever had this problem or replaced seals? Any quirks we should be aware of before starting?

Thanks Cindy

[Broken External Image]:

The rivets that hold it in place need to be drilled out in order to remove the rubber strips. You'll need to replace them with nuts and bolts, and then cut the extra length of the bolts off with a Dremel or similar tool. Applying silicone to the entire length of the seal will help to prevent water from leaking into your bed.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me, do the Tonneaus seal the bed from water?

I know I have drip holes in the bed but when parked in a rain I get water in the bed.

Is this normal?

H,

on the gen 1 st, yup, they were known for leaking..... my 03 and 04 both leaked....

On the gen 2 truck there is a sticker stating the bed is NOT water proof... Nice huh ??

Todd Z

Mine stays pretty dry except for a car wash that blows water from the sides. I resolved (sorta) the problem by taking some screen enclosure spline and sliding it in the rubber gasket around the Tonneau cover. It helped a lot but still not 100% waterproof.

I finally got my hard tonneau back on the ST today. For about a year it has been sitting under a tarp in the yard because the lock stopped working and one rear latch wouldn't open. Today I got it out cleaned it up and lubed up all the latches and got it working. All latches work fine now and the front lock works but the rear one is stripped just like several have posted on here. The rubber seal around the whole of the front section is falling off and I will have to glue it back in place. I was going to order a replacement for the rear lock but I am glad I saw this post because here it appears the part number I need is 286B60B but that does not match the part number I found on previous posts can anyone verify for me what I need for a 2004 ST. For the time being I just use the wire and wire nuts technique suggested in previous post and that will work fine for now.

The hard tonneau on my 2001 ST is weatherproof enough for me to keep a medic jump bag and a defibrillator back there. The only time I've seen water back there was after a 3" per hour rainfall and after I directly sprayed water at the seals, but it was just a small tickle down the inside wall in a couple spots.

My '01 was very dry once I did the repair to the seal as listed by Krash. My '08 is bone dry. Keep the rubber clean and it should keep the water out.

Latest posts