OD Flashing Light of Death to Trac - Got to be Kidding!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Dykes

Reaction score
I used to be really proud of my Ford and the Trac's innovative design...but that changed when the "Light of Death" Flashed less then 3K miles after doing the recommended Tranny fuid maintenance.

Well I am chalking it up Ford Quality issues and lack of customer support and it :angry:has cost them another customer. After babying my Trac since 2002 and with only 34000 miles on the Tranny it started to die. Could not believe that that Ford would not back up their work for a defective product.

Before anybody asks if I performed all the recommended maintenance...the answer is Yes. When I asked the Ford guy about his thoughts on the problem...he just shrugged his shoulders.

I did not buy an extended warrenty....and shouldn't have too...I feel very ripped off

So I'm trading for a Honda.

Enough!

Otto

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how you feel. Right after my first tranny flush is when my tranny issues started. I traded up to a F-150 though, much better built than the early model trac's in my opinion.

I don't know where you guys got your transmissions flushed, but where I go for my transmission flush (kwik-kar Lube), I get a 6 month 6000 mile warranty. I think that is a fair warranty for the service, and for only $85 per flush, it might be worth considering having it done every 6 months or 6000K miles. That way the tranny is always covered under their warranty. :D

...Rich

I have the same problem...

I will keep my ST, and fight with its tranny for its life, but I will never buy a Ford product again.

I always used to argue with people about american cars being better vehicles, but the past 5-10 years have proven me wrong.

FORD - You've lost another customer, thats for sure. Pull your heads out of your a$$es.

I'm at 29000+ miles and am nervous about getting the trans flushed:(.

But I guess most don't have a problem at all and there are those that had the problem without a flush.

I Had the 1-2 , 2-3 flair, Then I upped the EPC pressure Installed a shift kit, Installed a deeper PML pan and have the xcal.

Beat the snot out of it for 18K miles since the installs, No problems. Still chirps the tires into second...

I flushed the trans at 16 K and installed the kit and pan at 20. I have 38 on the ST now..

Go buy a Honda, I have seen those tranny go out at 80K just out of warranty, I had a Nissan altima, drained the tranny fluid, (had a plug) every oil change, 62K tranny went...

I have had other American and foreign cars go 300K with out a tranny or motor issue, They all have their problems.

And I WILL NEVER buy a new car without an extended warranty, NEVER!!!

Todd Z

I'll never buy an extended warranty, or a car that I'm not excited about. Life's too short for dull vehicles.

I flushed mine twice, ~30K and ~50K, and did a pan drop / filter change once around 40K.

Bit of the 2-3 flair, began one morning when it was below 0 outside. Happens when I'm going easy on the pedal. I know what that means: the Trac likes me to ride it hard, so I mash the pedal to the floor, and don't get the flair between 2 and 3.

No probs otherwise.

Seems that while we have many issues with the tranny here, you dont here much about it other than on these types of boards. There are many vehicles out there with these tranny's and I would venture that the total percentage of failures is not as high as we think. I think there is a design issue, but for the average driver, it may not be as widespread as it seems.

I'd be interested in seeing data from an impartial third party, but we never will.

My 93 Mustang with the 2.3L and auto tranny crapped out on me Friday. A bad solenoid was causing the TC to stay locked up... 512.00 to fix. I elected to go the route of having the entire tranny overhauled and a new TC installed for 1250.00 as I get a warranty on the entire thing for 12mo/12k. this car has 140k miles, and I am sure there has was minimal maintenance done before we aquired it a year ago. I hope I get at least that out of the ST, but I wont put any money on it.

I will never buy an extended warranty, and I will buy any car from any company I desire. I have no allegiance to Ford or any other maker for that matter.

I've never heard of the 2-3 flair, and I don't anticipate having that problem. Maybe if I screw up the clutch or something. :blink:

Latest posts