Obama's speech to the kids

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud Williams

Reaction score
Below is the speech Obama is going to give to the school kids tomorrow.

Sounds innocent enough to me...

Alot of uproar over nothing perhaps....

The uproar from my perspective is interrupting math class to tell students to stay in school. Record it and play it later at home, where the parents can answer the kid's questions rather than the teacher being forced into another parenting duty. Most people probably don't know how often the instructional day is interrupted by government requirements. This isn't just a little blip in their day, it will go on and on once it gets started.

I agree- too much rancor over a positive, unbiased message. I recall classes being shortened for mandatory "pep rallies" for the football team in high school- seems like this speech may be deserving of some time as well....

I remember when I was in school - seems like 100 years ago, it was an honor to hear the President speak.

This is ridiculous. :blink:

My post a while back was not for this speech, it was for a video that some stars had made. My wife and I watched his video, and find nothing wrong with it really. I still think it could be done at primetime, so that even the parents get the gist of the video!

Jerry, many conservatives (not on this board) have complained about the amount of primetime airtime Obama has used already during his presidency to date. If he had done this in primetime as well, I'm sure they would have derided him for doing that.

Besides, let's face it--the message is more likely to reach more kids, and have more of an impact on them, if it's delivered in the schools.

I actually see an interesting opportunity in this speech. I could see this becoming a part of the annual first-day-of-school tradition across the country. Nearly every school I've ever heard of has some sort of first-day activities that are out of the ordinary--be it an all-school assembly, or a first-day orientation, or whatever. I think it would be worthwhile to have hearing a presidential address like this--regardless of whom is the president at the time or what party s/he is from--be part of that first day activities. I agree that it would probably make sense to have it be pre-recorded, so every school can do it on whatever their first day is, rather than trying to do it live, everywhere. But as lasik1 said, there are activities like pep rallies all the time which interrupt class time. All things considered, I'd rather they did a rally for education and the start of the school year like this, than for the football team.

I got too caught up in grammar. I saw "some stars had made" and thought "more than one", then I saw "his video" and thought "only one, so must be Obama's speech". My wife gets on to me for getting too caught up in grammar. She says I need to learn to talk "like a normal person"!

Way too much hoop-la over a simple speech.

Even if a transcript was not released in advance, what's the big problem. Let him make the speech, and if the parents did not like it, then they can tell their kids otherwise and voice their complaints. I don't think that Obama is going to brainwash their kids because they listen to one of his speeches.

There seems to be a lot of concern that Obama is getting too much TV time? I have mre respect for the boss when he pulls his ass out of the cushy leather chair in his office and stops listening to what his aides and advisors tell him (only what they want him to hear) and talk to the people who doing the work and experiancing life first hand. He needs to know what life is like outside the Oval Office.

You can always criticize what he says afterwards...why complain about something he has never said yet !! Remember, it's all political BS.

...Rich

We have to sign a permission slip that authorizes the school to allow our son to view this speech. It was recorded and will be seen later in the week.

Yea, we had to let the teacher know if we didn't want him watching it. But the wife and I read the transcripts, only because of all the rumor and other inuendo (sp?) running around, and didn't want to tell him no because of what we hear from others.

I think it would be cool to have something like this coming from any president. Think about it, you have a young child who knows 'the president is some 'big guy', all important, and makes mommy and daddy have 'discussions' with others, but here he is talking to us.'

I am looking forward to hearing from my son on what he thought of the president and what the president said. I know some high school kids may not get much out of it, what with all the discussions about truancy, and what not.

But even though I may not agree with most of Obama, and didn't vote for him, doesn't mean I have to disagree with everything, and find no ground to stand on with him.

Just my soapbox!

My High school son didn't see it, my middle school son didn't see it either.

My High school son said it took time away from class time, so the teachers in his class didn't show it.

Q: Does anyone ever remember any other similar presidential address to children be banned as this one was?

Weren't schools falling all over themselves to get GWB to come in and read "My Pet Goat!"? ;)

They didn't show it in our school, bowing to the controversy (a big mistake and if our elementary school principal wasn't on his way out already I would have discussed it with him). One of the reasons given for not showing the speech was that it couldn't "fit in" to the school schedule...yet just last week there was a 1 hour pep rally that the high school cheerleaders attended (the school in question is an elementary school).

It's a crock!

There was an Eau Claire, WI area school that didn't show the speech. A group of mothers got together and pulled their kids (about 50 of them) out of that school for the day to do a home schooling civics project that centered around viewing the speech on CSPAN. It was featured on a local TV station.

Lasik, as I said in another thread about this subject: It's a matter of trust. It's now a majority of people who don't trust our administration. Anything presented as "neutral" is suspect of having an agenda of some sort. The speech didn't start out as "positive", with it's after-speech assignments, which I'm sure you read or heard about.

And, TJR, I remember when G H W Bush talked to the schools. Remember this?

When Bush spoke to students, Democrats investigated, held hearings

By: Byron York

Chief Political Correspondent

09/08/09 7:11 AM EDT

The controversy over President Obama's speech to the nation's schoolchildren will likely be over shortly after Obama speaks today at Wakefield High School in Arlington, Virginia. But when President George H.W. Bush delivered a similar speech on October 1, 1991, from Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington DC, the controversy was just beginning. Democrats, then the majority party in Congress, not only denounced Bush's speech -- they also ordered the General Accounting Office to investigate its production and later summoned top Bush administration officials to Capitol Hill for an extensive hearing on the issue.

Unlike the Obama speech, in 1991 most of the controversy came after, not before, the president's school appearance. The day after Bush spoke, the Washington Post published a front-page story suggesting the speech was carefully staged for the president's political benefit. "The White House turned a Northwest Washington junior high classroom into a television studio and its students into props," the Post reported.

With the Post article in hand, Democrats pounced. "The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertising for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students," said Richard Gephardt, then the House Majority Leader. "And the president should be doing more about education than saying, 'Lights, camera, action.'"

Democrats did not stop with words. Rep. William Ford, then chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee, ordered the General Accounting Office to investigate the cost and legality of Bush's appearance. On October 17, 1991, Ford summoned then-Education Secretary Lamar Alexander and other top Bush administration officials to testify at a hearing devoted to the speech. "The hearing this morning is to really examine the expenditure of $26,750 of the Department of Education funds to produce and televise an appearance by President Bush at Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington, DC," Ford began. "As the chairman of the committee charged with the authorization and implementation of education programs, I am very much interested in the justification, rationale for giving the White House scarce education funds to produce a media event."

Unfortunately for Ford, the General Accounting Office concluded that the Bush administration had not acted improperly. "The speech itself and the use of the department's funds to support it, including the cost of the production contract, appear to be legal," the GAO wrote in a letter to Chairman Ford. "The speech also does not appear to have violated the restrictions on the use of appropriations for publicity and propaganda."

That didn't stop Democratic allies from taking their own shots at Bush. The National Education Association denounced the speech, saying it "cannot endorse a president who spends $26,000 of taxpayers' money on a staged media event at Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington, D.C. -- while cutting school lunch funds for our neediest youngsters."

Lost in all the denouncing and investigating was the fact that Bush's speech itself, like Obama's today, was entirely unremarkable. "Block out the kids who think it's not cool to be smart," the president told students. "If someone goofs off today, are they cool? Are they still cool years from now, when they're stuck in a dead end job. Don't let peer pressure stand between you and your dreams.

Latest posts