Obama Explains National Anthem Stance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy malone

Reaction score
Obama Explains National Anthem Stance

Sun, 07 Sept. 2008 11:48:04 EST, General Bill Ginn' USAF (ret.) asked Obama to explain why he doesn't follow protocol when the National Anthem is played.

The General also stated to the Senator that according to the United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171... During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform are expected to stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. At the very least, 'Stand and Face It'

Senator Obama Live on Sunday states, 'As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want to be perceived as taking sides', Obama said. 'There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression'. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped or something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song 'I'd Like To Teach the World To Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it. 'We should consider reinventing our National Anthem as well as redesigning our Flag to better offer our enemies hope and love. It's my intention, if elected, to disarm America to the level of acceptance to our Middle East Brethren. If we as a Nation of warring people, should conduct ourselves as the nations of Islam, whereas peace prevails, perhaps a state or period of mutual concord would exist between our governments. When I become President, I will seek a pact or agreement to end hostilities between those who have been at war or in a state of enmity, and a freedom from disquieting oppressive thoughts. We as a Nation have placed upon the nations of Islam an unfair injustice. My wife disrespects the Flag for many personal reasons. Together she and I have attended several flag burning ceremonies in the past, many years ago. 'She has her views and I have mine'. Of course now, I have found myself about to become the President of the United States and I have put aside my hatred. I will use my power to bring CHANGE to this Nation, and offer the people a new path of hope. My wife and I look forward to becoming our Country's First Family. Indeed, CHANGE is about to overwhelm the United States of America.'

Obama has his work cut out for him when he takes over the Presidency in Janurary. The first administration in our history that has to "rebuild" our nations standing in the world.

Oh by the way, he has to rebuild the economy too.

Of course that article is bunk. However, there was a day when he was so arrogant to not face the flag or put his hand over his heart. He also did choose not to wear a flag pin, but now you see him wearing it all the time.

Some have claimed Obama is like a chameleon and that he will say or do anything to win this election (the same was said about Mrs Clinton). If this is true, then I wonder if Rev Wright and some of the other more radical colleagues of Mr Obama will come back?

Wearing a flag pin or not doesn't show your patriotism. It is what is in your heart. I still can't get the statement from his wife out of my head about how for the first time in her life, she is proud of America. So now I wonder, if her husband loses, will she suddenly be ashamed of us again?

In my opinion, Patriotism isn't some conditional feeling you have in your heart. It is always there. If you have to be given something to encourage you to vote in an election, or if you put conditions on your loyalty to the country and its constitution, then you really aren't a Patriot.

I think Obama can be a great President some day, perhaps even as good as Kennedy, but right now he has a lot to learn.

Oh, and here is a non-threatening American flag. :)

c012b5d1aa6d60237dc536169dcf2c57._.gif

I just saw a poll today that has Obama 1% ahead of McCain. Very interesting indeed.

I saw a poll today that had MC 10% above OB,,

In my opinion, Patriotism isn't some conditional feeling you have in your heart. It is always there. If you have to be given something to encourage you to vote in an election, or if you put conditions on your loyalty to the country and its constitution, then you really aren't a Patriot.

Well put Nelson...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
More typical, shameful, and desperate misinformation by the GOP cronies to scare you into voting for them. It's all they have left.

Bo,

Maybe you can explain this. I can't, and I really wish I could. Maybe he just had to go to the bathroom really bad and was trying to hold it. :lol:

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i166.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid166.photobucket.com/albums/u90/snopesbinary/Politics/abc_obama_anthem_071022a.flv"></embed>

"...all present except those in uniform are expected to stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart."

See that big colorful thing in the background......that none of them are facing?

Not one of them knows what to do.

The video still does not negate the lies posted in the first place. There's no need to make up BS; the video actually is enough to make you sick that people aspiring to lead our country don't know what to do when they hear the national anthem.

All this from the party that prides itself on its Christian base. Good luck getting past St. Peter.

The singer in that video has GOT to be giving the worst rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" that I have ever heard..

Gov Richardson and Sen Clinton knew how to properly show respect for the Anthem and the Flag, why doesn't Obama? The video shows the truth.

Just last Sunday, my son was playing in a baseball game at the field in our small town.

The flag on the flagpole in center field got unhooked on the top from the lanyard.

It was flying upsidedown with only on hook holding it up.

I promptly walked past the visitor stands and dugout in the foul area on the third base line,

went to the outfield on the other side of the fence, while the game was going on and fixed the flag.

A lady from our side came over to me after the game and thanked me for doing that.

I know she was not an Obama supporter:lol:

"...all present except those in uniform are expected to stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart."

See that big colorful thing in the background......that none of them are facing?

They are facing a different flag...

The video still does not negate the lies posted in the first place.

Clearly he does not have his hand over his heart...

More typical, shameful, and desperate misinformation by the GOP cronies to scare you into voting for them.

Bo, this has been around for months, nothing new...

Gov Richardson and Sen Clinton knew how to properly show respect for the Anthem and the Flag, why doesn't Obama? The video shows the truth.

Yes it does, too bad Obama doesn't get it...

From the U.S. Code Online via GPO Access

[wais.access.gpo.gov]

[Laws in effect as of January 3, 2006]

[CITE: 36USC301]

TITLE 36--PATRIOTIC AND NATIONAL OBSERVANCES, CEREMONIES, AND

ORGANIZATIONS

Subtitle I--Patriotic and National Observances and Ceremonies

Part A--Observances and Ceremonies

CHAPTER 3--NATIONAL ANTHEM, MOTTO, FLORAL EMBLEM \1\ MARCH, AND TREE

Sec. 301. National anthem

(a) Designation.--The composition consisting of the words and music

known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(b) Conduct During Playing.--During a rendition of the national

anthem--

(1) when the flag is displayed--

(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at

attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;

(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with

their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder,

the hand being over the heart; and

(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute

at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until

the last note; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face

toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag

were displayed.

(Pub. L. 105-225, Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1263.)

Historical and Revision Notes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revised Section Source (U.S. Code) Source (Statutes at Large)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

301(a)................................ 36:170. Mar. 3, 1931, ch. 436, 46 Stat. 1508.

301(b)................................ 36:171. June 22, 1942, ch. 435, Sec. 6, 56

Stat. 380; Dec. 22, 1942, ch. 806,

Sec. 6, 56 Stat. 1077; July 7, 1976,

Pub. L. 94-344, Sec. 1(18), 90 Stat.

The key word is "should". There is no requirement. As far as no one facing the flag, I suppose there were numerous flags at the ceremony. There usually are at political gatherings, so the attendees had any number of flags to face.

I don't blame Mr Obama for this. He is American, but he didn't grow up in America, so he wasn't indoctrinated into typical behavior like the majority of Americans. It would be interesting to see what other things he missed. My daughter also has lived overseas a lot as a child, and I know she doesn't fit in well in the US.

I stick with my first assumption though, since it does look like he is doing the "pee-pee" dance at one point of the song. :lol:

I agree with you Shaun. I have never heard a worse rendition, but it is our Anthem all the same. :wub:

I don't blame Mr Obama for this. He is American, but he didn't grow up in America, so he wasn't indoctrinated into typical behavior like the majority of Americans.

Wrong assumption, if he doesn't know this, what else doesn't he know ???

Wrong assumption, if he doesn't know this, what else doesn't he know ???

I could make some guesses. There are some things that Americans, Brits, Canadians and Aussies share. They are ingrained in our culture.

Here is a short list:

Shave and a haircut..two bits (see reference)

Can he tell a "knock-knock" joke. (My Turkish friends don't understand them at all)

Can he sing "row, row, row your boat"?

Does he know who little Miss Muffett is?

I could list many more.

As I said, this isn't necessarily bad. I believe new ideas and perspectives are good. Diversity ensures our survival, just as diversity helps animal species in the wild.

I try very hard to post facts without any political slant. Some may think I fail in this, but that is not my intent. I hope the things I post help others see past all the misinformation that is in the news media.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nelson OKC

The American National Anthem is by far my favorite. Much better than the mundane "Oh Canada." However, it still gives me chills when I hear it sung well @ hockey games etc... especially during the playoffs.

which brings me to my next point: THANK GOD THE HOCKEY SEASON IS BACK!!! GO HABS GO

I don't blame Mr Obama for this. He is American, but he didn't grow up in America, so he wasn't indoctrinated into typical behavior like the majority of Americans.

There's absolutely no excuse for this. He's been in the public eye and political office long enough now that he should be aware and also observe the proper protocol. I won't begin to speculate on his thoughts and say that this was a deliberate act intended to "disrespect" America. It could've been just a brain-fart.

But, deliberate act or brain-fart, it's still inexcusable when he's in the public eye, running for President, and is at a public function with his fellow Democrat contenders who are observing protocol. If nothing else, he should've noticed them doing so, along with likely the majority of the audience, and though "Gee, if everyone else is placing their hand on their heart, guess I should too." Even if he didn't truly mean it, he should do it for the sake of appearance, so as to not stir up controversy like this and add more fuel to the fire for his opponents.

You'd think that someone who was supposed to be such a brilliant, Harvard-educated intellect and a great leader would think of this.:blink:

I have never heard a worse rendition, but it is our Anthem all the same.

So do you think this was worse than Rosanne Barr's "sick cow" rendition before a San Diego Padres game years ago?:wacko:

You'd think that someone who was supposed to be such a brilliant, Harvard-educated intellect and a great leader would think of this

Tom (Caymen) has already stated that you can get a better education at a community college than you can at Harvard. He was referring to the President in this case. I want him to tell me which community college, since my daughter enters college next fall. I can save some BIG BUCKS! :lol:

Latest posts