O2 Sensors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin McGowan

Reaction score
I know this sounds crazy, but i can only find 2 o2 sensors on my trac, and my check engine lite came on and advanced auto said the code came up for o2 sensors, they say i need two upstream and 1 down(after the cat) but i cant find the after cat? Am i crazy or what..........can anyone help me here. thanks for your time and effort.

Kevin,

There are the 2 on the y-pipe and then another on the cat. The one on the cat is hard to see until you get underneath and look above the pipe. I believe it is on the pipe between the 2 cats on the back cat. it is on the top side of the pipe right by the flooring.

George

Yup, I would Bet the 02's are not even bad....

Post the code they gave you...

Todd Z

I just last week, I took my Trac to Auto Zone and they told me that I had a lean or O2 sensor out. I believe the code was 171, 173 (been to long and I was just going to have it done, but everyone tells me it's a piece of cake.)

However AZone told me that there were 4 Sensors on the 2002 Trac. Suggestions?

thanks

Semnolz,

P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

P0173 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 2)

DO NOT REPLACE THE 02's !!!! ( there are 3 by the way)

Check the common vaccume elbow, you MUST remove to check for the crack, but this is the cause !!

It is located down on the left from the 4.0 plastic cover

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

This is why I suggested to post the code. Like Todd, I am certain you do not have two failed 02's.

This hose will post the exact same code. Why? Because too much air gets in and the 02 sensor registers the fuel to air ratio to be too lean. Thus, the code that comes up is the 02 sensor.

ok great thanks fellas, now theres something else if you could help me with, when i rev the engine up to 3000 rpm it runs good then it sounds like it wants to shut down, then goes back to sounding good, any help would be much appreciated, and like i said thanks for all the help with the 02 sensors..........you guys are great on here!

That is normal. You are hitting the no load max rev limiter.

It does this to protect the engine from being damaged by exceeding the max RPM's.

I went to the Ford dealer today to get the vacuum hose. They didn't have just the elbow. They have an assembly from that hose over to the PCV. Is that correct? Or could I just use vacuum hose?

Is it necessary to reset the computer or should the light go out as soon as the problem is fixed?

I tried to start new thread referencing this one but couldn't find URL.

Ford will have it as an assembly, not just the hose itself.

Some have reset the computer and others have not.

After 8 COMPLETE running cycles it will reevaluate things and reset it itself if there are no issues.

Resetting it yourself is quicker, but then it needs to re-learn.

Spend $3 on heater hose at an auto parts store. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Total of 10min for everything, the truck will run, and the light will go off and stay off (if that was your only problem).

What Jeff suggests will work.

Keep in mind that it is a corrosive exhaust gas that passes thru there. If will eat up most regular hoses faster compared to the original that was designed to withstand the elements.

That said, yours failed, how well does it withstand the gas????

I guess I'll stay with the unit from Ford. Next time (hopefully there won't be a next time) I'll go the route Jeff suggested. Thanks for the replies. My family and I were away for a few days in Kentucky at the Creation Museum.

Not to Hijack this thread, but my 01' Trac tripped a CE light on Friday and I checked the code yesterday and I had the P0171 and P0174 codes (Bank 1 and Bank 2 O2 Sensors to Lean). I didnt see how both just went out either and we had a full week of 105 degree weather here in S. Carolina, so I wondering if the heat caused my vacuum hose to crack as well. Just curius as to which size heater hose I would need to get from the Auto Parts store?

Latest posts